triple to double somehow?

ben-----
ben----- Posts: 573
edited February 2016 in Workshop
Hello, I've just got myself a new (new to me, second hand) Van Nicholas Yukon. Haven't even ridden it yet really, but seems excellent in every way except… It has triple chainrings and I just don't think I need/want that. Just wondering what would be involved in changing to double? The levers and derailleur are Dura Ace 7803. Cranks Ultegra 6603 triple 170 cranks. Would I need to change all those things I just detailed? And the bottom bracket? (or is that included in "Cranks Ultegra 6603 triple 170 cranks"?) Are Dura Ace 7803 chainring levers perceived to be a bit more valuable than 7800 ones?; a bit rarer maybe? Or the same or less? Thanks.

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Your triple gears are high quality and ideally suited to your Yukon touring/audax frame. What's the point in changing if it all works OK? Do you fear people might think you are a weakling if you don't have a double? If that is a worry for you, it would perhaps be possible simply to take off the little 30 ring and adjust the front mech to work it as a 52/39 standard double. The alternative is to spend a lot of money changing chainset, levers and derailleurs for say a 50/34 compact system which would give you a more restricted range of gears plus a big jump between the front rings meaning you might have to double shift.
  • ben-----
    It's all working very well. Just been out for a quick spin up the road. But the triple is superfluous to me. It just seems an unnecessary extra complication. I live in Suffolk - not too many hills. I'm not going to be carrying heavy stuff. It's just not needed. As I say superfluous.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    edited February 2016
    Think logically. What benefit would you gain from spending hundreds of pounds to replace high quality gears that are working very well? All I can think of is you would lose a few grams - the weight of a 30-tooth ring. And you would never notice the difference.

If your little ring is superfluous for the type of terrain you ride in, don't use it. You never know, it may come in handy if you come across the occasional 20 per cent hill or go on holiday to Wales or the Alps. In the meantime, enjoy using your new bike as a 52/39 standard double - just like the gears on a pro's race machine.

Compact double chainsets are fine - I use them myself - but your triple set-up gives you a higher top gear, smaller jumps between gears and a bail out bottom gear for those tough hills at the end of a hard day in the saddle.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,164
    if you really want to make it a double, just get a double crankset and front mech

you can still use the same shifter, it'll simply have a 'spare' position (set tension so the lowest is the redundant one)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Just to clear up one point that hasn't been addressed:
    ben----- wrote:
    Are Dura Ace 7803 chainring levers perceived to be a bit more valuable than 7800 ones?; a bit rarer maybe? Or the same or less? Thanks.

The 7800 shifters are for double / compact cranks and the 7803 shifters are for triple cranks. In practice, the right hand lever is the same for both - it's only the left-hand lever that changes.

Triples are rarer than doubles, but I couldn't say if that makes them more valuable. There's less of them, but there's less demand too.

And to back up all the other advice, if I were you I'd leave it as is.
  • If the Triple is simply poking you in the eye...Remove the inner ring and reset all the limit screws... that'll run just fine,
  • Modify the existing triple, as was said above, if you feel you really need to. Personally speaking, I love the versatility of a triple ring, if I'm on an Audax distance / touring ride, especially if the terrain is varied in its elevation. I have a Compact double, on another bike, if I'm doing a shorter faster loop / ride.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Keep the triple and put a narrower range cassette on. Triples are neat - 90% of the time you just leave them on the middle ring!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Rolf F wrote:
    Keep the triple and put a narrower range cassette on. Triples are neat - 90% of the time you just leave them on the middle ring!

I could not agree more. Remember it is far better to have a gear you do not need than to need a gear you do not have.
  • ben-----
    OK, thanks.

I was thinking that it might not cost me a whole lot of money, close to nothing I was hoping, as it'd amount to a swap, for similar condition stuff. That's why I was asking if a Dura Ace 7803 left leaver is perceived to be a bit more valuable than a Dura Ace 7800 left leaver or less or equal. But there would the the extra cost of work/time plus risk of losing money and/or ending up with worse of condition stuff.

A triple is just not something I'd have chosen. Just seems an unnecessary extra complication to maintenance, cleaning, and carrying it around but as was pointed out just a few grams. Never used a triple so maybe I'll like it after giving it a good go.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ben----- wrote:
    OK, thanks.

I was thinking that it might not cost me a whole lot of money, close to nothing I was hoping, as it'd amount to a swap, for similar condition stuff. That's why I was asking if a Dura Ace 7803 left leaver is perceived to be a bit more valuable than a Dura Ace 7800 left leaver or less or equal. But there would the the extra cost of work/time plus risk of losing money and/or ending up with worse of condition stuff.

A triple is just not something I'd have chosen. Just seems an unnecessary extra complication to maintenance, cleaning, and carrying it around but as was pointed out just a few grams. Never used a triple so maybe I'll like it after giving it a good go.

The weight differences are remarkably marginal and I'm not sure what extra maintenance/complications you are expecting to suffer from the triple! Mainly it is extra teeth to clean but, if you aren't using the inner ring much anyway then you won't need to clean it much either. And you could argue with the load spread across three rings rather than two, that you won't need to replace chain rings so often. But really, all marginal stuff.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Heck I would consider getting a triple for my next road bike. They make Tiagra triples still, would be good if you could still get an Ultegra version.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    edited February 2016
    Well I live in Suffolk too, but I have a 105 triple on my summer bike. Bought it for my 50th birthday which unfortunately coincided with knee surgery. Thought I'd replace it with a compact double in time but I rather like it. As already pointed out, I spend 95% of my time in the middle chainring and scooting up and down the cassette. Not many hills round here warrant the 50 or 30t rings, but they are nice to have when the need arises. The 30t is especially welcome at the end of a long day ride when my refuelling strategy has unravelled, and my meteorological and route-planning ineptitude mean I'm cycling uphill into a headwind...

You should cherish your DA / Ultegra triple kit; you'd have to settle for Tiagra if shopping for a new Shimano triple groupset now.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    As has been said above you could bodge it to make the inner ring inaccessible but the 'proper way' to sort it is to just replace the L shifter, front mech and crankset.

If you are patient the parts will come along on ebay and once you have sourced then you can swap over and sell the older ones. Assuming a fair wind you shouldn't lose out overmuch.

Alternatively, buy a nice new groupset - say Ultegra - and ebay the old groupset. DA carries a nice premium on ebay so this should work out fairly cheap and you'd get a new drivetrain
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • ben-----
    OK I'll leave it as it is as most have advised. Thanks.