None bike related, instead tools.

Clockworkmark31
Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
edited February 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Quick question about what you would expect.

I have some tools (not going to mention brand as don't like slating), but anyway I have some tools 2xside cutters 1x long nose pliers and 1x pliers. In the past I have replaced them and not thought about it. This is coming up to my third set I am looking to replace due to play in the pivot and sticking towards fully open (almost locking, but not quite) and the cutters going blunt.

So got in touch with the manufacturer (lifetime warranty) received very good customer service, they collected the tools kept me informed at all times. But then received them back today saying they can't find a problem with them and the locking is a feature.

Somehow feel like I have just been mugged off, as they disregarded the play and them going blunt. My everyday tools, used to do what they should, have had them for around 18 months.

So my questions are what is the point in a lifetime warranty? And what would you expect?

Bear in mind to replace all 4 tools it will cost me approx £150 and I have done this twice before.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nothing stays sharp forever, and not sure what you mean about the 'pivot', but perhaps some oil?

Not broken, so no warranty.

Buy a different make.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I understand nothing stays sharp forever but it is one of the main selling points.

Pivot/hinge the bit that holds both half's together and I have oiled and keep oiling the pivot (it then gets on to other tools in the box).

To me the sticking and play is going faulty (blunt I class as wear and tear), but the warranty is meant to cover this.

Tried different makes before, but when these work, they work fantastic and are comfortable to use. Meant to be the premium brand, and feel like I have just been pushed to one side.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    So you've been through 3 sets of Snap-On/Mac pliers......WTF are you doing to them !?!? Had my Mac pliers for near on 20 years now, still going strong. My experience of warranties and life time guarantees from the premium brands is excellent, that's one of the reasons they cost so much.

My advice you you would be to buy cheap pliers and throw them away when you are unhappy with them.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Well you asked the question about what is the point of a lifetime warranty. Well for a start that it is for the lifetime of the tool - so an oxymoron is there from the start - because the tool will die eventually. It is a marketing gimmick to persuade you to buy that brand. A gamble on the part of the manufacturer that fewer people will claim than the value of the increased sales due to the guarantee and premium price. If you buy a car with a warranty then it will only be valid if you maintain it which is why the question on sharpening and oiling the 'pivot' was raised. However if the claim is because it is not fit for use then the claim should be treated in the same way with a warranty as without. I would go back to them with the warranty and show them that you have met all of the requirements and therefore invoke the guarantee.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Not Mac or Snap-On. But meant to be the "best" in there usage electrical. And just normal use really nothing out of the norm. And never had a problem from other tools from the same manufacturer. I associate them with quality and that's why I pay the premium for them. But going on to the third set now and being fobbed off by the manufacturer just infuriated me.

Yeah I agree the lifetime warranty is a gimmick or a gamble on there part as before I just replaced. The tools are fit for use but they just seem to be wearing quick. Going blunt is something I would expect (wear and tear) but the pivot sticking in certain conditions and having to oil it, I would consider sub standard. But after inspection they say it is a "feature", not replied to them yet after receiving them all back yesterday. Just annoyed at the statement they gave me, have spent enough with them and will still continue to use them as they are great when they work, just think these certain products have a quick lifespan.

Hell I've got some Bahco slip joint pliers had them 4 years (original RRP £60) still going strong even after abuse, like putting steel pipes on the handles for leverage.
  • Even sent in a set of the latest ones I purchased for comparison and told them this. And the difference is night and day. They say that the quality assurance manager checked them and they are fine.

Think the response just annoyed me more than anything.

Feel like asking what was checked, if they were even checked. Normally I don't bother with warranty claims if I think they have served the purpose/I can fix my self/or I am unhappy with them. I just fix or purchase new or different.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    I use facom side cutters, pliers and other mechanics tools, never had a problem with lifetime warranty, last time a friend took a 1/2 rachet bought 7 years ago, nothing wrong with it just the plastic handle worn and tore appart at the edge, got a new one at the counter, no questions asked

Simple lifetime warranty
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Will have to try get my hands on some, they look impressive and TBH never heard of them before.

So much for brand loyalty, but I must admit I'm abit of a tool snob. Think I have more money in tools than what I have had in bikes, is that bad haha.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    They offer superb quality tools but not butique brand prices. in the midrange I would say, always compare with what is available down here.
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Facom are a reasonably well known brand and make excellent tools, part of the Mac Tools group.
  • It's a brand I haven't come across before but they seem good, going to get my hands on a pair and try them. The ones I'm complaining about are midrange prices.

Hell, even got a set of Lindestorm mini precision side cutters at £60 each. Worth every penny.