Wheels circa £400-500

Unclemonty121
Unclemonty121 Posts: 205
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi All

Sorry if this is a little bit general.

I upgraded to a Look 675 light Di2 last year, with the knowledge that the wheel set was the cost cutting part of the bike - it currently has Mavic Aksiums, with a view of upgrading this year.

I've been eyeing up some Mavic Ksyrium Elites, as a good upgrade. However I have £95 worth of Wiggle vouchers (given as a present), and received an email today saying that they won't be getting anymore of them in. They need to be Shimano 11spd compatible.

So, although many years of cycling experience, I am stumped as what to go for now and really don't know where to start.

It's for general road cycling, sportive, hills etc, so want something lighter than I have but good solid all rounders.

As I am tied to Wiggle (due to the vouchers) the only real condition is that I can price match at Wiggle.

Help please!
Look 675 Light Di2
Boardman Pro C winter hack
Cannondale Prophet
Decathlon Hub geared City bike

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I would go for these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-neut ... -wheelset/

Or spend a bit more for the fulcrum zeros.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Fulcrum 3 or get them to price match Ribble on the Zondas for the best wheels at the cheaper end of your budget (Campag on Shimano on a nice Look looks like you`ve not done your bike justice!)
    As Redvision said spend a bit more (Fulcrum Zeros are only left in Campag but you could change the freehub body), a look deserves it plus if you don't you`ll always be wondering what if and be back here again in 3 or 4 months time.
    The Ksyrium Pro Clinchers with the yellow spoe would look great on a Look, £605 at Tredz and CRC.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    I've got some rather nice C50's in the classified section for sale, and will accept Wiggle vouchers :wink: RS81s in C35 or C50 flavour are incredibly well put-together and the hubs are cup-and-cone ultegra quality so very easy to keep smooth.

Otherwise, if you are limited to Wiggle, then Zondas or, for a more left-field option (but suited to the Look) would be Mavic Cosmic Elites for £308.
  • As an alternative, if you decide on wheels from elsewhere, you could see if anyone on here wants your vouchers for a small discount (10%??).

Would free you up to buy a pair of the Elites you wanted for €400 :

http://www.4thebike.de/12956/mavic-ksyr ... tz-schwarz

Oh, and I've a brand new set of these you can have for your budget :lol:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dt-swiss-rr21-d ... -wheelset/
  • Fulcrum Racing Zeros are the best for £500 imho. Neutrons would be good to but don't look as bling.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Galatzo wrote:
    Fulcrum 3 or get them to price match Ribble on the Zondas for the best wheels at the cheaper end of your budget (Campag on Shimano on a nice Look looks like you`ve not done your bike justice!)
    As Redvision said spend a bit more (Fulcrum Zeros are only left in Campag but you could change the freehub body), a look deserves it plus if you don't you`ll always be wondering what if and be back here again in 3 or 4 months time.
    The Ksyrium Pro Clinchers with the yellow spoe would look great on a Look, £605 at Tredz and CRC.

Or do this and no need to need to change the freehub and just get a Miche or Ambrosio cassette with Campag splines but Shimano spacing for £30 that work as well as everything else.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Galatzo wrote:

Or do this and no need to need to change the freehub and just get a Miche or Ambrosio cassette with Campag splines but Shimano spacing for £30 that work as well as everything else.

If it's an 11-speed shimano bike, then a campag 11-speed cassette on a campag frehub will work fine. The sprocket spacing is near-enough identical
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,399
    Novatec Jeffys have had good reviews and are in budget:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/novatec-jetfly- ... -wheelset/

I've also been told that Fulcrums are a nightmare on the service side and change hubs and spokes with each iteration.
    Mavics are great wheels but horrible to service too.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    g00se wrote:
    Galatzo wrote:

If it's an 11-speed shimano bike, then a campag 11-speed cassette on a campag frehub will work fine. The sprocket spacing is near-enough identical

Double cool - learn something new every day. Thank you!
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Dorset Boy wrote:

I've also been told that Fulcrums are a nightmare on the service side and change hubs and spokes with each iteration.
    Mavics are great wheels but horrible to service too.

My Fulcrum Nites were no harder to service than any other wheel i have had.
    I think some replacement parts (spokes etc) can be hard to come by, although I never had a need to find out (fortunately).
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    How about these;

http://www.huntbikewheels.com/collectio ... eep-24wide

Tempted myself especially as they are tubeless ready.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • g00se
    g00se wrote:
    Galatzo wrote:

Double cool - learn something new every day. Thank you!

And vice-versa too - 11 speed wheels are interchangeable with 11-speed gruppos. Just need the right cassette for the wheel's freehub
  • Guys, thanks so much for the help with this, the amazing advice just keeps on coming.

I didn't know the 11spd interchangeability, I've originally been put off, as I have a 10spd sram set up on the winter bike, with a campag cassette and it's a nightmare.

So I'm coming down to the following choices;

The Mavic Krysium elites from the German site as suggested by londoncommuter.
    Reason being, they would be a similar cost as I would have paid with my voucher and I would still have a £95 wiggle voucher!

The Novatec Jeffys as they are light and cheap, but not sure how much of an upgrade/quality they are

And the hunt wheels look very nice

With a lot of googling I can't quite get the fulcrums or the higher mavics within budget - although I will be doing a bit more to see if I can!

Any other thoughts welcome
    Look 675 Light Di2
    Cannondale Prophet
  • g00se
    How about campagnolo eurus? They're a bit more then 500 but there are some available online for just under and you can get wiggle to price match.

https://roadcyclinguk.com/reviews/campa ... xb75tGD.97
  • On the campag freehub front be wary because it looks like Campag don't do athena cassettes so you have to get chorus, which seem to be £70 online - a chunk more than ultegra at sub £40
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    oldbazza wrote:
    How about these;

http://www.huntbikewheels.com/collectio ... eep-24wide" target="_blank

Tempted myself especially as they are tubeless ready.

Actually Malcolm at the Cycle Clinic does these with the same rims(I think) as the Hunts,and of course easily serviceable hubs and spokes;

http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections ... yres-1640g" target="_blank

Might be making a call to Suffolk.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • Thanks for all the help, just to update went for the Mavic's in the end from Germany, with GP4000s II put them on yesterday and the bike was fantastic.
    Look 675 Light Di2
    Cannondale Prophet
  • Thanks for all the help, just to update went for the Mavic's in the end from Germany, with GP4000s II put them on yesterday and the bike was fantastic.

Did it take long for them to arrive? Considering a set myself
  • No, they said 10 days, but order placed on the Thursday and they arrived on the Monday, I think it was about £360 all in for wheels, tyres and delivery.
    Look 675 Light Di2
    Cannondale Prophet
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    How does it work with warranty? I have heard that the Mavic standard warranty is good although they are a little slow. Is is applicable at all for foreign purchases, albeit within the EU?