stans 29er wheel set

Brown sauce
Brown sauce Posts: 111
edited February 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hello People,

Sorry this is selling advice i need. I want to sell some stans 29er hoops with american racing hubs and dt swiss spokes. they cost me about £550 but looking on eBay wheels don't seem to be going for a lot.

Do second hand wheels not sell for much? I may just keep them if thats the case

Thanks
2015 Stanton Switchback
1993 Kona Lavadome

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I built a bike and sourced most of the stuff on ebay including a second hand wheelset. You are right the discount is high but what I found was that it was difficult to find a set and ended up in the auction and won by paying a higher price than expected - so you can sell them.

But you are saying that you might keep them because you paid a lot for them. This is the wrong position. You have already paid for the wheels so that cash is now gone forever. You should only look at future cash decisions to evaluate what you are going to do with them.

I assume you have a bike and wheels and so these are spare. The decision is are you going to get another bike without wheels in which case you will pay less by using the spare set. If not then you may as well sell them - for whatever. This is the principle of 'sunk cost'.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Sounds like an old geezer at work. Won't sell his fifteen year old car because he paid £12k for it and now it's only worth £700
  • FishFish wrote:
    I built a bike and sourced most of the stuff on ebay including a second hand wheelset. You are right the discount is high but what I found was that it was difficult to find a set and ended up in the auction and won by paying a higher price than expected - so you can sell them.

But you are saying that you might keep them because you paid a lot for them. This is the wrong position. You have already paid for the wheels so that cash is now gone forever. You should only look at future cash decisions to evaluate what you are going to do with them.

I assume you have a bike and wheels and so these are spare. The decision is are you going to get another bike without wheels in which case you will pay less by using the spare set. If not then you may as well sell them - for whatever. This is the principle of 'sunk cost'.

Good logic, I was going to sell the bike and wheels to do a full build. But after realising I won't get much for it all Ive had a re-think and am going use all the bits I can including the wheels. Going to get a Stanton Sherpa I think then just upgrade some bits over time.
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • Sounds like an old geezer at work. Won't sell his fifteen year old car because he paid £12k for it and now it's only worth £700

hahahaha :lol:
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Stans/AR/DTS sounds like a pretty nice wheelset, assuming it's all straight and OK, I see no point in replacing it to be honest!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Stans/AR/DTS sounds like a pretty nice wheelset, assuming it's all straight and OK, I see no point in replacing it to be honest!

Thanks, they are really good. I had them made at Just Riding Along. They don't weigh much and are stiff when you pedal. I was surprised how much lighter than my standard wheels they were and my bike felt loads lighter. Definitely the most important upgrade in my opinion.
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bump to escape the spam swamp.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools