Newbie buying advice - please help!

Jukeboxjonesy
Jukeboxjonesy Posts: 2
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Looking for viewpoints please everyone... Lower (though decent Tiagra) spec new OR higher spec (full 105 groupset) used?

After putting up with a hybrid and not ridden a 'racer' since I was in my teens, I'm now looking at getting a road bike.
My local bike shop has an amazing offer - brand new but 2015 model Genesis Equilibrium 10 complete with SKS mudguards fitted at the heavily discounted price of £499 with the Tiagra kit (mostly). Obviously, this is a fantastic price and it's retro looks cunjured up images of my youth. I had a run on the turbo and it felt lovely. Not the best test but there is no possibility of a road ride as it's the only model.
However, a friend of mine has offered me a Cube Peloton Race with the FULL 105 groupset, Mavix Aksium wheels and Gatorskin tyres. Not seen it yet but it's a 2014 model with approx 1500 miles covered. Apparently in very good condition (not seen it) with a couple of marks (he's been 'off' twice due to grids!) but nothing major. He paid a GRAND for it in 2014 and he's offered it tome for £300. Again, a fabulous price. I could borrow this bike for a while before I buy but the Genesis may go... WILL go soon!!!

I haven't looked at the Cube yet. Been to view the Genesis twice - I love looking at it! What sounds better to you guys??? Should I go for lower spec new or higher spec used? Chances are the Cube will need a service as I don't think it's had one.

I don't know exactly what I want to do in terms of cycling achievement yet until I start riding. I do fancy the Liverpool Chester charity ride in the summer though and my first aim is to train up for that (50 mile).

Opinions please because I'm completely torn.

Anyone own the Genesis Equilibrium 10? Got to be honest, it's a bit love at first sight with the Genesis, which is where my heart is. But my head says go for the higher spec, meaner, lighter Cube (and save myself £200 - or will I really)? Can't go see the cube for a couple of days as he's busy and the Genesis won't be there for long and may go tomorrow morning!!!

HELP!!!!!!!

Ste.....

Comments

• For the sake of 200 quid, I would get the new machine. You've got the after sales, warranty etc, plus they will prob throw in a free 6 month service if you ask nicely.

The banged up cube might be in need of a major overhaul... Bottom bracket, headset, pads, cables, bar tape could be 200 if you can't do that yourself.
  • Plus spec means nothing if your heart isn't in it. The bike I enjoy riding the most is the cheapest one I own!
  • .......it's retro looks cunjured up images of my youth. I had a run on the turbo and it felt lovely.

....I haven't looked at the Cube yet. Been to view the Genesis twice - I love looking at it! What sounds better to you guys??? Should I go for lower spec new or higher spec used? Chances are the Cube will need a service as I don't think it's had one.

I don't know exactly what I want to do in terms of cycling achievement yet until I start riding. I do fancy the Liverpool Chester charity ride in the summer though and my first aim is to train up for that (50 mile).

Opinions please because I'm completely torn.

Anyone own the Genesis Equilibrium 10? Got to be honest, it's a bit love at first sight with the Genesis, which is where my heart is. But my head says go for the higher spec, meaner, lighter Cube (and save myself £200 - or will I really)? Can't go see the cube for a couple of days as he's busy and the Genesis won't be there for long and may go tomorrow morning!!!

HELP!!!!!!!

Ste.....
    I think you've answered your own question to be honest. All this love for the Genesis etc.

Tiagra 10 speed will be fine. As ant states too, you'll have a relationship with the LBS. Just make sure it fits.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Plus if it's the old 10 speed 105 then don't get too hung up about it, it's nowhere near as good as the new 11 speed.