Tools to carry?

2»

Comments

• scoi
    scoi Posts: 103
    I take a 5 litre pack which is fine for the average jaunt, but also a bottle cage (bottle of tools) and saddle bag if I need to expand for more food/water/clothing. I find a bigger backpack feels wrong so prefer to spread it over the bike, i have taken a liking to the osprey packs but hard to justify the price.

Water
    Multitool (includes levers, chain tool and handy metal wire)
    Tube
    Repair kit
    Phone
    Cash
    Card
    Asthma pump
    Cereal bar/s
    Pump
    Mini jacket
    Small pair of lights

Never bothered to pick up an extra link or derailleur hanger, I'm sure one day I'll regret it. If a chain link snaps, I'd just shorten the chain, never use the big ring anyway and could have a reasonable day sticking to the middle gears in 2.

Probably should also look at finding a mini first aid kit.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Was on a ride last weekend, nice 160km job and 20km from the end the chain snapped, had I been unprepared that would have really pi55ed me off, chain splitter on the multi tool, removed damaged outer pair, quick links on using the bent spoke to hold in place and we were rolling again within 3 minutes, going prepared is well worth the effort!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    That is an impressive ride - was it on or off road or a bit of each? Kudos either way.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    .....wait - how can the end of the chain snap? A deformed circle - eg a chain - does not have a beginning or an end - unless of course it breaks...
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • The things I carry are as follows, a spare inner tube, a mini bike pump, a patch kit, a multi-tool with pliers, some sort of folding knife, and tire levers. There are other things that you can bring also such as matches and duct tape, but I don't find them necessary.
  • FishFish wrote:
    .....wait - how can the end of the chain snap? A deformed circle - eg a chain - does not have a beginning or an end - unless of course it breaks...

There is no end in the chain, even when it breaks how can you prove it is the end?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    FishFish wrote:
    That is an impressive ride - was it on or off road or a bit of each? Kudos either way.
    It was on what passes for roads in rural India, so in some places that is rougher than a trail centre, in others it's not bad, much like a UK country lane. We used hired Giant Roam hybrids, so were rolling pretty fast on the smooth stuff but MTB's would have been nice on the rougher sections.

FishFish wrote:
    A pin came loose, the normal way a chain snaps....strictly not snapping I suppose but becoming disassembled.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Inner tube
    Patches
    Pump
    Tyre levers
    Tyre boot
    Multi tool with chain splitter
    Pliers
    Quick links
    Cable ties
    Mech hanger / bottle opener
    First aid kit
    Adjustable spanner (for kids bikes w/o qr wheels/Allen key)
    Snack
    Money
    Phone
    ID

All these have come in useful at some time or other.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • kinioo wrote:
    Bottle opener;
    Blanket;
    Something to wipe off you mouth after tasty sausage roll....
    Proper made me laugh out loud that!!!
  • FishFish wrote:

There is no end in the chain, even when it breaks how can you prove it is the end?

Isn't a chain full of ends that are all joined together? :D
  • FishFish wrote:

Isn't a chain full of ends that are all joined together? :D

Or it could be full of infinite new beginnings.

Oh the joys of science :evil: