Cervelo R3 differences other than paint?

chrisped
chrisped Posts: 7
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi!

I'm considering buying a Cervelo R3 frame for my bike build. A new 2016 R3 frame is $2000 and 2013 frames (new) frames are $1600. Are there any difference between the 2013 R3 frameset and the 2016 R3 frameset, other than the paint? Also, can I move my Di2 equipment on to the 2013 as well as the 2016?

Honestly I don't like the 2016 colors, so if I can get a better looking frame cheaper, I would definitely go for that.

I see that the 2013 frame is 950g, which I believe is the same as the current 2016 frame.

Thoughts?

Thank you,
Christian

Comments

• The 2013 frame is completely different (as much as one carbon frame is different from another) and is the last year before they changed to Squoval 3 and internal cable routing etc etc.

For $400 extra I wouldn't touch the older one, even just in terms of resale if you ever want to move it on.
  • Thank you for clarification. I will let that one go.

Cheers!
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    The 2013 frame is completely different (as much as one carbon frame is different from another) and is the last year before they changed to Squoval 3 and internal cable routing etc etc.

For $400 extra I wouldn't touch the older one, even just in terms of resale if you ever want to move it on.

Yep, had both. Spot on assessment
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen