Shimano 10spd freehub, 11spd bike on turbo

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,662
edited February 2016 in Workshop
Hi guys

I have recently upgraded to an 11spd ultegra group on my bike but my spare wheeleset - which I only ever use for the turbo - is 10 spd. The other possibility is a ksyrium wheelset which I think will take an 11 spd cassette but which has a braketrack as thin as tissue paper. That one is currently outside with the trainer tire on it and I ll wait to see if it holds 7 bar overnight.

If not, is there a way to run a 10spd cassette on the 11 spd system, on a turbo, that wouldn't cause all sort of wear and noise? Its an rh-500 wheeler from some years back so I think a new freehub is unlikely to fit (and probably worth double what the wheel is worth...)
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    could put the 11 speed cassette on the 10 speed freehub, but leave one of the 11 speed sprockets off it, should all fit on. might need a spacer to make up a small bit extra space on the freehub

(edit: note, might need to re-index the gears a little)
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Assuming the Mavic supports an inflated tyre it should be fine on the turbotrainer. The load of the rider and bike is taken through the drop-outs and thus to the turbo supports so there is little load going through the rim other than the rotational force - and you won't be braking on that rim so seems the obvious solution, no?

The 'omit a cog and use spacers to adjust' solution will work but unless you're prepared to adjust the limit screws and possibly indexing after each turbo session it seems like a faff.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Thanks guys, yeah the Mavic wheel seems to work (it hasnt exploded yet at any rate).

It feels a it strange but it's ok
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver