vinyl wrap

jpower
jpower Posts: 554
edited August 2016 in Workshop
Greetings, I have a carbon fibre frame, paintwork is mostly black but there lots of red striping and finally have got fed up of the red. I don't want to spend a fortune on doing so, don't want to wreck the paintwork either, been advised that I would void my warranty too, however if I wrap it, then no issues.

Anyone done this, maybe there other mad people like me out there :D Any advise, just looking to go Matt Black, which is most of the bike anyway.

Comments

• Hi I've worked with vinyl wrap before covering some vehicle parts. I imagine to wrap a frame would be Hard work/Impossible as you would end up with lots of joins and tricky edges to try to make neat.

I would recommend using a product called plasti Dip, Its a rubberised paint in an aerosol can you can get it an a variety of colours including Matt Black that is pretty robust but does peel off if you decided to go back to the original colour. I've used it on my cycle helmet with good results. Check it out on youtube.
  • jpower
    That dip stuff seems pretty good may have to consider that. Just wondering I know it comes off pretty easy if you don't have it on too long, is it still ok to come off a couple of years down the line?

By the way i wasn't planning on wrapping the whole bike, just the parts with red strips, got some on order last night, so might try a piece and so how it works out.
  • jpower
    Returned the wrap, going for the spray option, bought some http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints ... pray-black

Now need some time to clean the bikes, going to try out on my crosstrail bike first.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Interesting first post and just six months later too.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,883
    This is my effort with wrap and pinstripe - originally looked like this:
    cannondale-synapse-adventure-disc-2015-road-bike-green-EV214048-6000-1.jpg

Now looks like this:
    29081642121_147d2b2e50_k.jpg

Granted it also has different wheels, stem, handlebar and saddle, but you get the idea.

I made sure the frame was clean, using medical wipes, and heated the frame a bit first, and put the wrap on whilst continuing to heat it with the hairdryer - was pretty easy actually - I put the joins underneath, or on the inside so they are not very visible, and no one that sees it guesses it is not painted that way.

I just picked a random ebay seller, can dig out the details if anyone wants it, was stupidly cheap for the amount I needed.

Personally paint seems a bit to permanent to me, and I would be too worried I would balls it up - with wrap if you do that, you just go again.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    And you think that is an improvement? Sorry but it looks like it has fallen into a post-it note pile!

PP
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As above - not even sure if that's a serious post or not. You could have achieved the same effect with some yellow electrical tape. Looks really awful, sorry.