Advise on Brakes Please

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited February 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

I've got a 2013 Anthem 29er which runs Shimano M395 brake system [F] 180mm [R] 160mm rotors with organic pads ( tried sintered wasn't that impressed and I have a set of Kevlar to give a try but not fitted as yet ) been very pleased with how they have performed, only on some of the more aggressive descents ( and I think hopefully my riding is getting faster/better ) I'm finding that they fade and seem to lack a bit of stopping power, I'm around 15 stone all kitted up and the bike now has RS 120mm Revelation forks.

My question really is the best way to go to improve things a little, would it be better to try a better brake system ie slx xt or a larger 203mm front disc on original brakes, or would I have to go for both.

Any advise would be gratefully received.

Comments

• kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    180mm rotor should be plenty big enough. I would suggest upgrading your brakes if it's an issue for you. A set of good deores is pretty cheap as well
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    get a 203m disc at the front and put the 180 on the rear. as for brakes then any of the shimano brakes from deore M615 up will be an improvement
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I wouldn't put a 203 disc on the front with a 29er Revelation, it's a very flexy fork.
    Kevlar pads have a very specific use and wear very fast (I killed a set in under two hours at Val D'isare) I wouldn't use them.
    A set of Deore brakes should give you more power but with better control than big discs which can make the brakes a bit more on or off.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380

I wouldn't put a 203 disc on the front with a 29er Revelation, it's a very flexy fork.
    Kevlar pads have a very specific use and wear very fast (I killed a set in under two hours at Val D'isare) I wouldn't use them.
    A set of Deore brakes should give you more power but with better control than big discs which can make the brakes a bit more on or off.

I would give the same advice.
  • Thank you all for the replies much appreciated.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    203mm will be fine on the front of the revs.
  • POAH wrote:

I'm trying to decide if your being sarcastic or not.. still be interesting to watch those things flex like no ones business with 206mm on there
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    POAH wrote:

You ever ridden a 29er Revelation? Wet noodle springs to mind.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    POAH wrote:

You ever ridden a 29er Revelation? Wet noodle springs to mind.
    Yep just put some on my cotic very flexy indeed