The Truth About Price

GriffterUK
GriffterUK Posts: 13
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

I am a complete beginner when it comes to bikes (unless you count the time I cut my head open when I was 14 slamming my drop-handle Raleigh bike into a wall).

Anyway I'm hoping you guys and girls could help me discern the truth about whether a price of a bike justifies it's worth.

You see, I'm really keen on doing some triathlons and having spoken to a few millionaires (presumably) at the local tri club, it would appear that spending anything less than £1000 on a road-bike and I will be laughed at - at the start line. Now OK this is a bit of an exaggeration but there definitely seems to be a price point (of around £500) that both road cyclists and mountain bikers seem to brand about like "if it's any less than £500 then it's gonna fall to pieces and last you about a month".

Now my question is whether there is any truth in this? My local bike shops says that they have some "entry-level" Trek 1.1 bikes for £500, and yet to a biking virgin like me it felt no different in ride (or weight) to a Carrera TDF on sale at Halfords for half the price? When I mention this to a few people, they simply say "Carrera is Halfords own brand and it's rubbish, save a bit more and get the Trek".

It's worth noting, that I don't have hundreds of pounds to "chance it", but I think I'm going to enjoy triathlons, but am tempted to buy cheap and see how it goes.

Any advice and wisdom would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

- Griffter

Comments

• Does price matter is a big topic. Certainly if you're talking about do you need a £5,000 bike compared to a £2,000 bike, then almost certainly no. But you're talking about price points where quality changes rapidly.

Is a £500 going to be better than a Halfords special? Yes! In almost every way you can think of. In general quality and function rises rapidly until you get to about £1,000-£1,500 then tails off as diminishing returns kick in.

Buy the Halfords bike if you want, but you'll only end having to buy again to get something decent.
  • The worst thing about halfords isn't necessarily the bikes - its the variable service you get when buying from them...by which I mean the skill of the people who put them together and service it for you etc. There are some that are good...there are many shops that simply have minimum wage kids with no real interest in bikes bodging things up (well according to the internet anyway and my brother!).

A better alternative for a cheap roadbike is decathalon - they get great reviews and will give you a lot for your money, probably more than the trek (but they might not be as sellable if you upgrade later...though you wont lose much tbh).

Anyone who laughs at you or another cyclist because of the bike they are riding is a d*ck, period. You dont want to be talking or hanging about with them. The vast majority of cyclists out there are not like this. Stick it to them by beating them on your cheap roadbike - the engine (you) is far more important than the frame - dont forget that.

Once you're hooked and got some spare cash then you can upgrade for something better if you so desire ;)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Agree. For £500 you should be able to get a 9 speed groupset and carbon forks as a minimum on a brand new bike. Probably even more if you shop around - notably decathlon triban or Alur models.

I practically gave away a boardman carbon with full 11sp (no wheels) for £450 from the classifieds here.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    If you are considering buying from Halfords, they stock Boardman bikes and this is on offer at the moment
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13043487 Might do you as a starter bike.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Cycling isn't about the bike, but enjoying your time on the bike. The only reason to pay more is because said purchase makes you enjoy your time on the road even more.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • hi I got back into cycling on a Carrera had it for a while good bike for the money still got it as my winter bike now I have a giant defy 2 and there is a great difference in bikes but I still enjoy riding them both
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    edited February 2016
    If you are anywhere near a Decathlon store, their B'twin bikes are highly regarded T around that price point. Also, check out the Merlin Cycles website (or Planet X or Ribble). Otherwise, you could get a good bike 2nd hand but you'd need to know what to look for. Always easier if you know someone who knows their bikes who could check out anything you might find locally. Also, the Tri club might have a website with a "for sale" section?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,147
    do some research to find out what size bike you need, then look at secondhand, you can get far better value than buying new
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Slimtim
    Slimtim Posts: 1,042
    I agree with Sungod.

The truth about price is that last year's kit and anything secondhand is going to cost less than new. I'm lucky enough to have ridden (and still ride, just more slowly these days!) some lovely frames and kit by buying secondhand. There are also excellent discounts if you look in the right place - groupsets and wheels with more than 50% off, Planet X Pro Carbon complete frameset for £230 delivered and so on. A budget of £500 will be more than enough to get you something good, maybe do a little more desk research before parting with your folding.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I reckon £350-400 should get you a complete new bike something decent with Sora alu frame carbon fork if you look in the sales.

e.g

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Road_Bike

If your doing tri aero clip one bars would be worth gettting also after you get used to the bike
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-700-af ... 24331.html

Something like that will be a great first foray in to the world of road bikes. Great frame, 11 speed Shimano 105 and Shimano 105 direct mount brakes. Yes it's £750, but easily £250 better than anything at £500 and better than a lot at £1000.
  • Without wanting to fly in the face of a lot of very good advice here:

Borrow a bike for a while if you can. That way you haven't spent £3-500 quid on a bike you can't get more than £200 for selling (don't like it)/ resent because it isn't as good as it could be (like it). When/if the time comes to buy, you'll have more money to spend, and be a bit more cognisant of what does and doesn't work for you, bikewise.

And if you do buy look for clearnces, old models etc. You'll never regret having something better.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    sungod wrote:
    do some research to find out what size bike you need, then look at secondhand, you can get far better value than buying new
    I would generally disagree with this comment, most second hand bikes are overpriced and may have worn components, which a relative beginner will not be able to spot, and have no comeback.

And when you can get a very good new bike for £600 why bother?
  • I dunno, sales can often be better than second hand. Particularly with discounts.

Bough the Mrs this for Xmas. £629 after BC discount. Used the 0% option as well.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitu ... prod120696
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I always believe in buying something inexpensive for beginners. Put a few thousand miles on it and after getting in good riding condition, improving your skills and sorting your fit you will have a better idea of what suits you and will appreciate something better much more if you decide to upgrade. As the OP mentioned it can be hard for a beginner to tell the difference between a cheap bike and something say over 3k quid. If you decide to sell it at some point the loss in devaluation is far less as well. There is generally truth to the belief that more expensive bikes will last longer as the components are better quality/more durable and just function better as well but this doesn't mean the Carrera will fall apart anytime soon or that you can't compete on it.
  • amey
    amey Posts: 430
    A quintessential bikeradar thread
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    There is generally truth to the belief that more expensive bikes will last longer as the components are better quality/more durable and just function better as well but this doesn't mean the Carrera will fall apart anytime soon or that you can't compete on it

I reckon claris will last just as long a dura-ace as its the consumable parts like chains etc that wear out so depedent on milage not price.

Also cheap bike might have some fsa offbrand sqaure taper crank = last longer.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Don't buy new. I built a beater based on an eBay Specialized Allez F&F (alloy frame, carbon forks) with (used) 10-speed 105, some used wheels from these forums, and a mishmash of used finishing kit. The only things I bought new were brake pads, cables and bar tape (BBB's finest cheap stuff). I think it owes me about £350. It lives on the turbo, but when I lent it to a friend a couple of years ago when his bike was off the road, he comprehensively destroyed me on every segment of our group ride. I was on a full-bling Cervelo with all the toys.

Ultimately, it's not about the bike. I would stay away from Halfords, and I'd avoid going below Tiagra for the groupset (Claris is a bit rubbish), but apart from that it'll be the legs wot win it, as the Sun might say.
  • Back to your original point you have been badly advised by your Tri club.

If you have a crappy old mountain bike (or anything else) then use it, you won't be the only one. You won't get laughed at and members from other clubs will be delighted you are taking part in your first Tri.

You may hate it and not want to do another (though I suspect not) and just have wasted your money.

Once you have done a couple then look to buy your bike and you'll know a lot more about what you want.
  • Ashbeck
    Ashbeck Posts: 235
    Grill wrote:
    Cycling isn't about the bike, but enjoying your time on the bike. The only reason to pay more is because said purchase makes you enjoy your time on the road even more.

Not quite true and you sort of contradict your own point.

Yes, cycling should be about enjoying your time on the bike, but the whole point of enjoying it is on a decent bike. If i gave you a rusty old steel bike with worn tyres and a knackered chain then asked you to ride 100 miles i doubt you would come back with a smile on your face.

You're getting fitness confused with aesthetics. Theres no difference riding a £5k to a £500 bike if your fitness is bad. A £5k bike isnt going to turn you into Chris Froome just because its better than a £500.

However, cycling IS about the bike because thats what cycling is. Just like F1 is about the car. If owning a slightly better bike with better gears, wheels or even paint scheme makes you feel faster and fitter then psychologically, if nothing else, it does make a difference. Why upgrade wheels if they 'dont make a difference?'

I went from a carbon £1500 Canyon to a £4k Giant propel last year and instantly gained 1-1.5mph in speed across the board without even trying. So to say the bike doesnt make a difference is plain wrong, even if its psychological, as i previously said.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Ashbeck wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Yes, cycling should be about enjoying your time on the bike, but the whole point of enjoying it is on a decent bike. If i gave you a rusty old steel bike with worn tyres and a knackered chain then asked you to ride 100 miles i doubt you would come back with a smile on your face.

You're getting fitness confused with aesthetics. Theres no difference riding a £5k to a £500 bike if your fitness is bad. A £5k bike isnt going to turn you into Chris Froome just because its better than a £500.

However, cycling IS about the bike because thats what cycling is. Just like F1 is about the car. If owning a slightly better bike with better gears, wheels or even paint scheme makes you feel faster and fitter then psychologically, if nothing else, it does make a difference. Why upgrade wheels if they 'dont make a difference?'

I went from a carbon £1500 Canyon to a £4k Giant propel last year and instantly gained 1-1.5mph in speed across the board without even trying. So to say the bike doesnt make a difference is plain wrong, even if its psychological, as i previously said.

Wut? There is no contradiction. Why can't I enjoy cycling on a rusty old beater? Why should cycling at 20mph be more enjoyable than cycling at 12mph? You sound like someone who is super serial about his gold sportive time.

The bike doesn't matter.*

*unless you're super serial about racing.**

**as in not sportive.***

***and even then the bike doesn't matter that much.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    My mate did LEJOG with me on a £300 Carrera TDF. 1000 miles in 10 days and we had the best time ever. Probably did more miles on his Carrera TDF in those 10 days then most of you golf w'nkers will do on your £5k Colnagos all summer. Just sayin'
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Ashbeck wrote:
    Grill wrote:

When I was a kid I rode hundreds of miles on gas-pipe bike that came from the tip. The rear tyre was worn to the canvass in one place and I never replaced any part of the drivetrain. It must have weighed a ton, but I went everywhere with a stupid grin on my face. My family never had a car, and money was tight, so that bike was my means of escape into the wider world. So it's perfectly possible to enjoy riding a rusty old steel bike with worn tyres and a knackered chain!

And of the 5 bikes in my garage now, the one with the best ride is the old steel Peugeot my son rescued from a skip! So much so that my next bike will definitely have a steel frame...
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    cost is irrelevant for me. sure I have 2 nice bikes, but I've also got a 9 speed junkbucket that sometimes is just what I need.

Speed and average speed is utterly irrelevant. I've people in my and associated clubs that give it the big one about average speeds, but I just value the time I have on the bike nowadays.

Same as a 5k colnago if ridden by a tool, is no more worthy than a Carrera £299 ridden by someone who knows what they are doing.
  • Thanks so much to everyone for your advice and guidance.

The general consensus seems to be - buy really cheap to start with and then if I really enjoy it, spend some money getting a decent bike (and that a decent bike need not be in the £1000's - the £700 mark would get you something perfectly fine).

I would buy second-hand but as a beginner I'd have absolutely no idea what to look for in terms of issues - so my thinking right now is to buy a Carrera Zelos from Halfrauds for £250 (although I need a 56cm - according to a recent bike fit), then pay another £50 to get it setup + fit properly at a local bike shop.

Again, thanks for your help.
  • lochindaal wrote:
    Back to your original point you have been badly advised by your Tri club.

If you have a crappy old mountain bike (or anything else) then use it, you won't be the only one. You won't get laughed at and members from other clubs will be delighted you are taking part in your first Tri.

You may hate it and not want to do another (though I suspect not) and just have wasted your money.

Once you have done a couple then look to buy your bike and you'll know a lot more about what you want.

Appreciate this post - thanks lochindaal.
  • keef66 wrote:
    Ashbeck wrote:
    Grill wrote:

When I was a kid I rode hundreds of miles on gas-pipe bike that came from the tip. The rear tyre was worn to the canvass in one place and I never replaced any part of the drivetrain. It must have weighed a ton, but I went everywhere with a stupid grin on my face. My family never had a car, and money was tight, so that bike was my means of escape into the wider world. So it's perfectly possible to enjoy riding a rusty old steel bike with worn tyres and a knackered chain!

And of the 5 bikes in my garage now, the one with the best ride is the old steel Peugeot my son rescued from a skip! So much so that my next bike will definitely have a steel frame...

Luxury.
    When I were a nipper I had to share one bike between 18 siblings, and had to physically fight each one for the privilege of riding it. It were made of cast iron, weighed 36kg and had no tyres, we just had to use the wooden rims ont' cobbled streets. There were no such things as saddles, we just had an old leather football shoved on an iron seatpost. And it had no brakes, we 'ad to use clinkers ont' bottom of our clogs.

And you tell the young cyclists of today this and they don't believe you.

Sorry, came over all Monty Python Yorkshireman. :shock:

OP - just do what I did, get a £400 entry level bike on the Cycle-to-work scheme, get thoroughly bitten by the bug and then proceed to have no spare disposable income that's not cycling related for the rest of your life. :lol:
  • GriffterUK wrote:
    so my thinking right now is to buy a Carrera Zelos from Halfrauds for £250 (although I need a 56cm - according to a recent bike fit), then pay another £50 to get it setup + fit properly at a local bike shop.

Again, thanks for your help.

Consider paying a bit more for this: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-se-road-bike-black-id_8306187.html#anchor_ComponentProductTechnicalInformation

Carbon forks and a triple chainset so a better spread of gears than the Carrera. Probably lighter too at a respectable 10.7kgs
  • Look for last years models, the only difference quite often is the colourscheme. I bought a Cannondale synapse £699 rrp for £479 last week. if you're after something more racy there's plenty to choose from and if you're not fussy about colours or brand there are some cracking bargains to be had.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "Luxury.
    When I were a nipper I had to share one bike between 18 siblings, and had to physically fight each one for the privilege of riding it. It were made of cast iron, weighed 36kg and had no tyres, we just had to use the wooden rims ont' cobbled streets. There were no such things as saddles, we just had an old leather football shoved on an iron seatpost. And it had no brakes, we 'ad to use clinkers ont' bottom of our clogs.

And you tell the young cyclists of today this and they don't believe you.

Sorry, came over all Monty Python Yorkshireman. :shock: "

How very appropriate! My cycling life actually did start on the edge of the Yorkshire coalfields! Lots of motivation to escape the smoke and industry and make it over to the Wolds, N Yorks Moors, out to the coast or up into the Dales :D