Break pad cleaning question

zefs
zefs Posts: 484
edited February 2016 in Workshop
I was wondering if it's possible to clean the break pads without removing the wheels. Even in the unlocked position my 105's don't leave enough room for me to add a rag in order to clean the surface and it gets a bit annoying, so I wanted to ask if using the small alen key that adjusts how far the break pads go from the rim would be a wise choice? Is it even possible or the adjustment it does is minor?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Most brakes have a QR at the side that will back them off (to allow the wheels to drop out if still inflated). Campag ones (at least the ones I have) have a release button on the brifters. Just use either of those, works well.

The small allen key adjust is the centre adjustment. You could use that and then readjust but it really shouldn't be necessary to use that instead of the QR/brake release. I can easily get a baby wipe in the gap, which works well as a stopgap between proper cleaning.
  • zefs
    I do use the release but still there isn't much room. I guess I'll have to deal with it anyway :p
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    You could use the barrel adjuster at the top of the brakes to back the pads off a bit (clockwise if I recall correctly, as that releases the tension) and then screw back after cleaning. A couple of clicks does the job. Going anti-clockwise is what you should be doing every now and then to compensate for pad wear.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Seems to me that removing the wheels would be the easiest and least time consuming of all options. You will also have a clear view of the pads to pick out any bits of debris that can damage your rims brake surface and which won't come out with just a wipe off. The allen screw just centers the calipers and requires more time to re-center it perfectly than removing the wheels. Why the reluctance to take your wheels out?
  • zefs
    I see thanks for the replies. Well to remove the back wheel I have to deflate the tire that's why I was looking for another way. Not really an issue I guess :)
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Why do you have to deflate your rear tyre to take the wheel out, are you using an oversized tyre?
  • zefs
    Nope, it's an 700x25 on Planet X pro carbon, there is not enough room on the back to remove the wheel without deflating.