Upgrading from Trek Madone 3.1

jbizzzn
jbizzzn Posts: 4
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello, I am hoping I can get some advice about what bike I should upgrade to next. I have a 2013 Trek Madone 3.1 that is totally stock minus the Time clipless pedals I had installed. I'd like to move up from the Shimano 105 drivetrain to the Ultegra group. I don't necessarily care about staying with Trek, even though I haven't had any complaints from the brand at all. I have heard good things from Cannondale. Any suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Hang on, you're saying that in order to change from 105 (which is an excellent groupset) to Ultegra (which is slightly better but fundamentally the same) you are buying a new bike!!

What are you hoping to achieve?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Hang on, you're saying that in order to change from 105 (which is an excellent groupset) to Ultegra (which is slightly better but fundamentally the same) you are buying a new bike!!

Dont you know?? A new bike instantly turns you in to a pro and increases your speed tenfold :roll:
    (Actually at the moment it probably does if you buy a certain CX bike :lol: )

OP stick with your current bike. Upgrade the wheels and get a nice set of GP4000 tyres on there - the difference will be far more noticeable than changing from 105 to Ultegra.
    After that, if you do then decide you still want to upgrade you can move the new wheels to whatever bike you get and they will be better than the stock wheels supplied.
  • I guess I just assumed there was a quality difference in the Ultegra groupset verses the 105 groupset. Not that my 105 shifts bad. It doesn't, in fact I have never had an issues as far as that is concerned. I am looking for something that is lighter and faster. My 3.1 is the first carbon frame bike I have ever owned. I have also heard from people that upgrading individual components isn't worth it. I spent $1800 on this bike new and I know you can exceed that just in wheels. Upgrading wheels is probably one thing that will make me faster more so than any other component.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    If you are talking older (10 speed) 105 then, yes, there is an improvement to be had going up to modern 11 speed Ultegra but they both work. That said, the modern groupset on it's own probably won't you that much faster. Indeed, i doubt a whole new bike would make you that much faster on it's own but it might make you want to ride more which, in turn, will improve performance through increased fitness.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    OP, from where you are now, I think shooting for lighter and faster is a bit like wanting the moon on a stick since it is pretty light as it is (so the usual laws of diminishing returns will kick in) and if you truly want to go faster then just press the pedals harder. However, all is not lost. As Redvision says, if the bike is still as it came then there are some simple ways to make the bike feel nicer and add a little zip/freshness:

Tyres If you haven't done so already, get some decent rubber like Schwalbe One or Conti GP4000sII in 25mm, £80ish
    Wheels Lose the stock ones pronto and get some Campag Zondas, £250 or similar
    Brakes Replace the pads with some good ones like Swisstop Flashpro, £25 for a set of 4

So, for £350 you will have a bike that feels sprightly and new with a lot of bang for the buck.

If you really want to change your bike then go for it but the disappointing thing is that the list above still usually applies for bikes costing twice as much.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Bankruptcy?
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    OP, from where you are now, I think shooting for lighter and faster is a bit like wanting the moon on a stick since it is pretty light as it is (so the usual laws of diminishing returns will kick in) and if you truly want to go faster then just press the pedals harder. However, all is not lost. As Redvision says, if the bike is still as it came then there are some simple ways to make the bike feel nicer and add a little zip/freshness:

Tyres If you haven't done so already, get some decent rubber like Schwalbe One or Conti GP4000sII in 25mm, £80ish
    Wheels Lose the stock ones pronto and get some Campag Zondas, £250 or similar
    Brakes Replace the pads with some good ones like Swisstop Flashpro, £25 for a set of 4

So, for £350 you will have a bike that feels sprightly and new with a lot of bang for the buck.

If you really want to change your bike then go for it but the disappointing thing is that the list above still usually applies for bikes costing twice as much.

Do the above AND hang either ultegra or even 105 11speed off it. Sell the old groupset parts on the bay and get a stack of the money back.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I say go take some test rides. You may find that you want to stay with the bike you have. I also agree with some others that going from 105 to Ultegra is a very small improvement especially considering the cost difference.
  • I think for now I will look for a new set of wheels and tires and see what happens. The Trek 4.5 is quite a bit more than I am willing to spend. I have seen some decent quality wheels brand new on eBay, but will talk to my local bike shop and see what they can offer.