Headset bearing service/replacement advice

new2br
new2br Posts: 57
edited February 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, just looking a bit of advice on dealing with a headset issue on my Saracen Ariel 1 (2011) which according to spec sheet uses an FSA gravity DX headset.

Today when lifting it out of garage I noticed the bars almost seized and eventually a bit of pressure to and from got the front wheel turning again albeit not smooth at all. The bike hasn't been used much this year until couple months ago and tbh with the minimal care it gets the bike has been pretty flawless til now - ironically I think the issue is probably the result on me giving it a rare thorough clean/degrease after a particularly muddy wet ride a couple weeks ago, and I've prob washed out the gease from lower headset bearings.

So I've removed forks, cleaned and regreased top and bottom races/bearings (which did need it) however when all back together it's not 100% smooth as I expected to be. Tbh since I hadn't been using the bike much this year until a couple months ago I can say for sure how smooth they were before today, but I'm guessing some of the bearings are ovalized slightly.

Anyway I'm assuming I need to replace the bearings. My headset has sealed cartridge on top and cage type on bottom. So my question is can I just replace the bearings top and bottom (top doesn't feel rough buy might as well do at same time) or do I need to replace the whole headset assembly. I would hope/assume just bearings as easily serviceable but just thought if rough cage bearings could maybe damage crown cup/race then I might have to replace whole assembly.

If anyone can advise esp on this specific headset model it would be much appreciated. I have googled and can't find any replacement bearing sets mentioned and all references to FSA gravity DX seem to be the pro version which I think has cartridge bearings on bottom as well (not cage like mine) so assume mine is old/ discontinued model.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You could just get balls the right size. Cages are rubbish, just make it easier to assemble in the factory, then rust away.

Pack with a bit of grease to hold the balls in place while you put it together.

Or just get one of these - cheap and excellent. And buy a second for replacement bearings in a few years. Bearings are £20 odd - cheaper to buy a whole headset.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291024923930? ... EBIDX%3AIT
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • new2br
    Yes looks like a complete headset is not much more than the bearings individually! That orbit on eBay does look good value, will have to check out comparability with the Saracen Ariel frame. I take it headset installation is a bit of a job requiring a special headset press/removal tool, which I don't have? :(
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Whack the old cups out with a screwdriver and hammer, hammer the new ones in using same hammer and a bit of wood to protect them, or make a cheap press using a length of threaded bar, some nuts and big washers.

But I think your bike has a tapered steerer so the headset I linked to won't work.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • new2br
    Yip you are right those wont fit as mine is tapered 1 1/8 - 1 1/5". Will source a suitable replacement - happy to have a go myself at fitting if like you say not too difficult to remove (without damaging tube) might rig up a wee press with the threaded rod/washers to install just to be on safe side. Thanks...