Hello, Cambridge. Any CX trails near you?

cjcp
cjcp Posts: 13,345
edited February 2016 in Commuting chat
As the title suggests, I was wondering if the Cambridge-based contingent on here could recommend any CX trails. I'll be staying near Churchill College.

I've three non-functioning road bikes at the moment, hence the CX. If there's a shortage of trails, I'll just stick to the roads.

Cheers.
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Not many around there - some nice rides down by the river but that's hardly an exciting trail.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Any fun to be had playing chicken with the vehicles on the guided busway?
  • DrLex wrote:
    Any fun to be had playing chicken with the vehicles on the guided busway?

Looking at OS maps and bridleways around looks not a bad idea, seems to be fair number of bridleways that it connects.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I grew up near Churchill College - hmm - even the road riding isn't especially interesting
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cjcp wrote:
    As the title suggests, I was wondering if the Cambridge-based contingent on here could recommend any CX trails. I'll be staying near Churchill College.

I've three non-functioning road bikes at the moment, hence the CX. If there's a shortage of trails, I'll just stick to the roads.

Cheers.
    I found this on the BC site, I'm sure you can get there within 15mins:
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/138800/CJCC-Go-Ride-Racing-Day#results
    If you look carefully at the map (https://goo.gl/maps/Po2UptLqxbu) with the satellite view you might see something resembles to a CX track (I might be wrong, never been there).
    There was also another one CX race near Wimpole at the end of last year which is about 8 miles away from you: I think its called the Tour of the Cornfield. Had a quick look on google (http://goo.gl/wD8OEg): try and you might find some fun off-road routes around the course.
  • Certainly easy enough to ride there - I used to commute by bike daily between pretty much those two locations when I was a teenager. Mind you, the Earth was flat that long ago :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I haven't got much time right now but there is plenty.... mostly flat though...

Roman Road behind the gogs - around 6 miles long to Balsham - really recommended...
    Horningsea to Anglesey Abbey - around 5 miles
    Wimpole - plenty of bridleways and yes, there is the Tour of the Cornfields route you mention
    The Milton Country Park route (I live in Milton) is tiny and it is a proper CX course, it is good fun, but you can't really ride it in anger due to people walking, dogs, children...

In any case, at this time of the year it is mostly a mud bath... unless you want to clean your bike after every ride I would wait until the weather is a bit drier...
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Cheers, guys - much appreciated.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."