Saddle advice

Bighank
Bighank Posts: 5
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone

Used a new bike last year - saddle pretty comfy for day rides up to 100 miles.
Didn't do a huge amount of training (missed out on long rides) and then did Paris-Geneva over 4 days (80-100miles a day)
On day 4 my backside was really sore with some rubbing at the top of the inner thigh.
I used my best bibs on day 2 and 3.

LBS wants to sell me a new saddle - the newest and priciest one!

If I can ride in comfort for 1 day do I just need to up my mileage and get used to the saddle or does it sound like a poor fit?

I know the shop will lend me a test saddle but I don't plan on testing it over 320miles/4days!

I'm doing the raid Pyrenean in June and want to get this right.

I'd welcome any unbiased advice

Cheers all

Bighank

Comments

• id say 100miles per day for 4 days straight is going to give you some chaffing! Unless your saddle gives you any issues over a long day in the saddle i wouldn't really change it.

You could get a saddle fit similar to a bike fit to help support your sit bones etc but its often down to personal choice rather than whats the latest or most expensive saddle.

Probably better to invest in some chamois cream and a good pair of shorts.
  • Thanks - I have done some 4 day events before on a different saddle and it was not as uncomfortable but in previous years I had done more training ( time for my behind to get used to time in the saddle) - I think I just need the reassurance to go with what I have just get a bit more prepared this year - the Raid is going to be tough.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Perhaps if you let us know what saddle you have, might help. Lot of uphill (and down) on that Raid the way you sit on your saddle going uphill is often a little different to long flat stages.
  • I have a Bontrager infinity RL (140mm wide). I used to ride a specialized tri sl gel - a little narrower but similar shape. My sit bones feel better supported on my current saddle but I never had any rub with the old one.

I have just read on sheldonbrown website that saddles with too much padding can cause the rub in the inner thigh as I had experienced and looking at my saddles the Bontrager does have more padding.

I'm thinking I should try something like a Brooks cambium - I'm easily led by the marketing blurb!

Grateful for any advice

Cheers