Universal Disc Brake Adaptor

Steve-XcT
Steve-XcT Posts: 267
edited January 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Would you rely on on of the universal adapters that can be used to retrofit disc brakes to tabless bikes.

It's potentially for a kids bike (24" wheels) because I'm trying to find a frame to start building for my kids next bike.
I'm not sure he would really need discs given his weight.... but it's nicer to have the option later but this then massively cuts down on the numbers of potential donor bikes...?

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.A2Z-Universal-D ... ClR7w_wcB#

37114_1_Supersize.jpg

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's not the adapters that I would worry about, but the seatstays not being designed for the force generated.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Steve-XcT
    cooldad wrote:
    It's not the adapters that I would worry about, but the seatstays not being designed for the force generated.

Yep Sorry I wasn't clear, I that was really part of what I was thinking ....
    I'm thinking of getting a bike with frame that has a disc model like a Cube 240 etc. and sort of assuming that the rear triangle is structurally the same between the rim brake models and Disc models just with different mounts.

I'd really prefer to get one with the rear adapters but they are a bit like hens teeth and/or more expensive and my intention is to replace pretty much everything over time. (like BB/cranks then a 10sp cassette) and one of the members here has some wheels for grabs .... (I have a complete spare XT M785 brake so I only need to buy another when heavily discounted - and I realise that's a LOT of stopping power even on 160 rotors for 25kg of kid and 10kg of bike but they are also ideal for small fingers )

My kids got really into working on his bike with me ... but economically I don't want to spend more on his current 20" wheeler and without changing rear hub it's always limited to 3/8th drivetrain.

The ideas is to gradually build the new bike .... starting on the frame and respray
  • Iv'e used one on a old bike and it worked OK with a little alteration to fit the frame without damaging it. One thing though it used to cause some very odd vibrations which was a bit unnerving when applying the rear brake(might not have been a suitable frame as cooldad says). I fixed this with some strips of rubber from a light mount between the adapter and frame but it took some trial and error to get right.

If I was making the decision again I would have just stumped up some extra cash and gotten a used frame with proper brake mounts rather than mess about with such a critical part.
  • Steve-XcT
    bailsofhay wrote:
    Iv'e used one on a old bike and it worked OK with a little alteration to fit the frame without damaging it. One thing though it used to cause some very odd vibrations which was a bit unnerving when applying the rear brake(might not have been a suitable frame as cooldad says). I fixed this with some strips of rubber from a light mount between the adapter and frame but it took some trial and error to get right.

If I was making the decision again I would have just stumped up some extra cash and gotten a used frame with proper brake mounts rather than mess about with such a critical part.

Cheers .. not the answer I wanted but the one that sounds right !