Not riding and MTB

mtb-idle
mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
edited June 2016 in Commuting chat
Well, as it says really.

I'm usually a four or five days a week commuter, 18 miles each way, racking up about 12,000 km a year but I did my knee and hamstring in on New Years Eve and have only managed to commute twice this year. Once on 4th January which confirmed that yes, I had really hurt myself and one earlier this week under physio's advice.

So in an effort to distract myself I'm keeping myself excited about riding by booking not one but two weeks in the French alps this year. One for MTB and the other to follow Le Tour with my road bike. I'm also planning on riding to Brussels over the May Bank Holiday weekend with my Saffer mate Greg.

And to support these endeavours I've also bought myself a Gabba 2 short sleeved jersey and a GoPro Hero 4 Session to replace my mk 1 HD Hero which got drowned last July whilst descending La Toussuire in a massive thunderstorm moments after watching Nibali, Quintana and Froomedog cross the finishing line.

Finally, prompted by the arrival of the Session I've edited the last of the footage from my MTB trip last year, captured on the trusty mark 1 GoPro.

:arrow: Ride On!

Hope you like it 8)
FCN = 4

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    You better get your knee fixed first ?
  • mtb-idle
    Well, I'm back on the bike and managed to commute four days a week for the last couple of weeks.

A new saddle rail mount arrived for my GoPro Session 4 so I tested it on my commute last Friday.

Here's some reverse cam action for you to enjoy or ignore as you wish.

Friday

:arrow:
    FCN = 4
  • mtb-idle
    and the evening video. Same as the morning but in reverse but just shot to test the low light level performance of the GoPro Session 4

Knight Rider
    FCN = 4
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    how is that session compared to the quality of your old unit?

I'm looking for something small i can use on the odd club ride and also take on holidays, not fused with all the fancy features like lcd screen.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mtb-idle
    itboffin wrote:
    how is that session compared to the quality of your old unit?

I'm looking for something small i can use on the odd club ride and also take on holidays, not fused with all the fancy features like lcd screen.

Hey Boff-meister, it's great TBH.

Much smaller and lighter with a simple one-touch control, on or off. or if you hold the button slighlty longer, on for still pics at regular intervals.

Picture quality is the same as the original Mk 1. you can fine tune it if you want via a smart phone but I haven't bothered.

The field of vision is so wide that once you have played around with it for a while you know that as long as it is pointing in vaguely the right direction it will capture what you want.

not so bulky as the original, can be used on a variety of mounts although I only used it on the chesty this weekend. Fix and forget but also works the same on bar mount or rear facing seat post mount.

Here's some footage from Sunday, one touch recording and edited in the free GoPro studio

Ring of Fire/Cardiac Arrest

Let me know what you think. I have dozens more examples of vids if you need any more
    FCN = 4
  • itboffin
    cheers i pulled the trigger last week and used it a few times but this evening i kept switching off after a few seconds sometimes minutes, so when i got home i tried another SD card which seems to have resolved the issue, for now at least.

then i found the recommended sd card list, oops
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mtb-idle
    itboffin wrote:

then i found the recommended sd card list, oops

yur, that helps. Hopefully many hours of issue free recording from now on,

what you planning on using it for?
    FCN = 4
  • itboffin
    i'm doing the marmotte again so this time i'm going to capture part of the main climbs and perhaps all of ADH if i can be arsed to ride up to registration, then its going to the youngest for general preenager silliness.

I've used it here on a couple of my commutes, which i wont post here because it'll make everyone jealous :-)
  • itboffin
    okay how do you prevent the lense from getting covered in mud and road spray?
  • mtb-idle
    itboffin wrote:
    okay how do you prevent the lense from getting covered in mud and road spray?

only go out when it's dry?

wipe it with your gloved thumb?

have it mounted on your helmet/chest/bars?

G'wan, I give up
    FCN = 4
  • itboffin
    dry? WTAF is that?

full fingered gloves? eh!

sans helmet, cover my Rapha/Castelli branding .....

I'm thinking a squirt from the biddon before switching on might be the ticket
  • mtb-idle
    it's fully waterproof so that would be good. I got a pack of these screen protectors too
    FCN = 4
  • itboffin
    Good call
  • mtb-idle
    Here's some more footage from my recent trip to Brugge/Brussels. Day 2

Road Trippin'

Let me know what you think.
    FCN = 4
  • mtb-idle
    Had a recent long cycling weekend on the East coast of Italy (Roseta Degli Abruzzi) and managed to get out for three days riding and covered 260km. The wife was able to laze around on the beach too so she was happy.

Here's the obligatory narcissistic vanity video self shot using the GoPro session 4 and a selfie stick. I just carried the cam mounted on the stick the whole (3) rides:

Ray of Light

See if you can spot the boogers :oops: or the lizard :evil:

Hope you like it 8)
    FCN = 4