Help...alloy v steel...orange crush v ragley piglet

Brown sauce
Brown sauce Posts: 111
edited January 2016 in MTB general
Hello people. Currently have a giant anthem 29er but want a change so going to build a trail hardtail.

I love the orange crush and like you can choose colour. But I love the ragleys also then with doing some research I saw one is steel and one is alloy.

Can I have some of your thoughts on differences or personal experiences.

Cheers
2015 Stanton Switchback
1993 Kona Lavadome

Comments

• codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    Chrome? The Crush is Alu and the Piglet is Chromoly. Chromoly steel is an alloy with Chromium and Molybdenum in varying parts, hence the name. Chrome is never used in pure form; it's either chrome plated, or stainless (steel with a high chromium concentration).
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • Codfather wrote:
    Chrome? The Crush is Alu and the Piglet is Chromoly. Chromoly steel is an alloy with Chromium and Molybdenum in varying parts, hence the name. Chrome is never used in pure form; it's either chrome plated, or stainless (steel with a high chromium concentration).

Hi, sorry I did actually mean Alloy-have edited. Thanks :oops: :D
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Still a bit wrong - one is steel and one is chrome? (Redundant, second sneaky edit there)

There are excellent steel frames and heavy gas pipe monstrosities.

Likewise there are excellent aluminium frames. Steel is an alloy as well. (Pedant haven't had enough coffee moment.)

It depends more on the quality of the steel, the design, etc.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    If I were after a slighter harder hardtail, I'd be ordering a Stanton Slackline. They ride beautifully, can take a beating and are less expensive than a Norange or Ragley.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • cooldad wrote:
    Still a bit wrong - one is steel and one is chrome.

There are excellent steel frames and heavy gas pipe monstrosities.

Likewise there are excellent aluminium frames. Steel is an alloy as well. (Pedant haven't had enough coffee moment.)

It depends more on the quality of the steel, the design, etc.

Haha have edited again. Will get there in the end. Need coffee.

Ok cool. I did wonder about it is still down to design. I had read good reviews about the orange. But from what you say I won't be put off by it being alloy.

I'm struggling to find anywhere to go and look at Ragleys.
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • Codfather wrote:
    If I were after a slighter harder hardtail, I'd be ordering a Stanton Slackline. They ride beautifully, can take a beating and are less expensive than a Norange or Ragley.

Just checked out their website. These look really nice too. Awesome thanks -definitely another contender.
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    there are plenty of trail hardtails out there to choose from. You should also consider Bird cycles and Dartmoor
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Crush is pretty rubbish VFM as well, so if you want an aluminium alloy frame (for completeness, you'd never use pure aluminium for a frame as it's rubbish) I'd look elsewhere.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.