Best Alu Road bike (For commuting) in £1000 Range ?

AndromedaTheM31
AndromedaTheM31 Posts: 13
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Can some one one suggest me the best Alu Road bike (For commuting) in £1000 Range. ? Which should be worth the money. I can go couple of hundreds more or less.
I believe I can get entry level carbon bikes at that price range but they won't with stand bike sheds and commuting I suppose. So I decided to keep away from Carbon. (Correct me if I am wrong on Carbon bikes)
For me Group Set has to be 105.

Thanking you in advance.

Comments

• alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Pretty hard to beat the Pinnacle Arkose 3 2016
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    Canyon Inflite AL 8.0 S must be worth a look if you don't mind mail order and waiting a bit for delivery.

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/infli ... 8-0-s.html
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I'm surprised that you've had 2 replies and no-one has suggested a CAAD yet.
    Of course, it depends on how aggressive you want the geometry, but a CAAD 10 105 can be had now for about £850.
  • MrB123 wrote:
    Canyon Inflite AL 8.0 S must be worth a look if you don't mind mail order and waiting a bit for delivery.

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/infli ... 8-0-s.html

Funny you suggest that - I only came to know about that brand yesterday - seems to be worth for the every penny. But unfortunately they are not part of CycleScheme. (shame really)
  • Planet X London Road is worth a look but only SRAM options at the moment - they had an Ultegra version for about £1200 recently but that's gone...
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    Ah, should have guessed you'd be looking at the CycleScheme with that budget.

How about one of these if you're willing to consider SRAM gearing and you're after a 58...

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... e-ec071025
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Since your limited by Cyclescheme as to which bikes you can buy I'd just go to your local independent bike shop that accepts Cyclescheme vouchers and see what you like the look/feel/performance of best. If your reasonably new to cycling having the backup of returning a bike to the shop for mechanical issues is really worth considering.
  • Decathlon 720AF, full Ultegra build for £1050...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'd try posting this on Commuting Chat where us commuters live.

I commuted (and still do) for 4 or 5 years on carbon - nothing wrong with it provided they aren't total lunatics there.

Something that can take wider tyres isn't a bad idea - for comfort and because you can fit studded ice tyres if you need to. Most commuters these days like disc brakes and many like mudguard mounts. This tends to push people towards CX, gravel or adventure bikes. Rack mounts are sometimes a need too. Dunno if something like the GT Grade aluminium squeaks into your budget. The latest Boardman CX at £999 looks like great value though the groupset might not meet your needs.

Don't be fooled into thinking these bikes will be slower than "classic" road bikes - strap some fast-rolling road tyres on them and they'll be just as quick on that summer sportif.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    GT Grade Ali at Wiggle £1049 1 medium left

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-grade-al-x-2 ... _content=0

105 groupset with hydraulic discs - perfect
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    How far is your commute and do you need mudguards and / or a rack ? That might influence recommendations. Also, I'm not sure that I understand your comments about carbon. If you are suggesting that a carbon bike would not be durable enough, I think you are wrong. That said, there is nothing wrong with ally if you find the right bike for you.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    I've just ordered a Fuji Cross 1.5 from Evans for commuting on the Trans Pennine and general mucking about now my 4 year old can ride a proper bike!

I actually went to look at the Pinnacle Arkose 3 and CAADX, but the feel and spec of the Fuji swayed me. 11 speed 105 with praxis 46/36 chainset, TRP Spyre twin piston discs (supposedly the top mechanical discs according to the cycling rags) etc, and on offer at £809. Through CyclePlus I'll end up paying around £540, that's a pretty good deal!
  • I had the same quandary when my home built commuter was stolen. I went for a Cannondale Synapse alu 105 because it can fit full guards, I liked the idea of discs, big volume tyres, always fancied a Cannondale etc. been really pleased with it and 11 speed 105 is a big improvement on 10 speed 105. It was £999 but they are currently cheaper in the sales.
  • Thanks a lot every one.... After going through your recommendations I have finally made my mind for this one.
    This ticks all the box for me other than aesthetics & Brand name.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/arkose-4-2016-adventure-road-bike-ec122276
  • If you don't mind the blue colour Evans have the 2015 version of the Arkose 4 at £1060, with availability showing in all sizes. The spec is almost the same, just a bit heavier, probably because of the different wheels.