Chainset Upgrade from Shimano RS500

sanspoof
sanspoof Posts: 111
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello all,

I have a BMC SLR03 with 105, it came with a Shimano RS500 chainset...

Has anyone with a similar rig upgraded their chainset, if so, is it worth it?

Just wondering

Thank you.

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    If you're thinking of upgrading to the 5800 (105) chainset, then the main reasons to do it would be the weight saving (100 grams or thereabouts) and compatibility with the new 4 bolt chainrings, and of course it'd match the rest of your groupset.

If it were me, I'd probably go for it once I'd worn out the chainrings on the RS500 (well, the big one anyway....) since chainrings are nearly as expensive as chainsets, so perhaps keep an eye out for a good deal between now and then.

Still, your question is somewhat vague - if you want to upgrade to eg a rotor chainset with a powermeter, that's a pretty good reason to upgrade too. Or perhaps you want to try a standard 52/39 chainset, or semi compact 52/36? All fairly decent reasons to bring forward an upgrade.

Certainly don't feel that you need to upgrade, as it's very unlikely in a blind test that you or I or anyone could tell the difference...
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Are you upgrading for aesthetic reasons to match the 105 groupset or is it for perceived performance benefits? I would upgrade the brake calipers to 5800 105 first then the crankset, or both if funds allow. The 105 would be lighter/stiffer, (725g 170mm w/o BB) as against (797g 170mm w/o BB) for the RS500. The RS500 crankset will take any 5 arm 110mm chainrings, whereas the 105 uses 4 arm 110mm, the outer being Shimano sculptured only.

The RS500 is a perfectly serviceable crankset which you could use till the rings wear out and then upgrade or sell to part fund the upgrade.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It would only be worth it if you accept the fact that you're doing it for reasons of appearance only, or for a tiny weight saving. With a bag on your head you wouldn't be able to tell them apart, despite what Shimano's marketing bods would have you believe.

And once you've gone over to the 4 arm chainset, a new outer chainring suddenly becomes a lot more expensive.
  • sanspoof
    sanspoof Posts: 111
    Hello all,

Thanks for your replies, I "think" it is probably mainly for aesthetic reasons and maybe an increase in performance, but as you mentioned, if I had a bag on my head then I reckon I would not be able to tell any difference...

All my groupset is 105 apart from the chainset and I guess that was bugging me...

I love the bike, I am going to keep the chainset until it needs replacing, which means riding my bike which is fine by me...

Thanks to all your replies!!

:-)
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Your brake calipers are not 5800 105, they are Shimano non-series BR-561. If you are happy with them leave them alone, if you have the urge to upgrade consider doing the brakes/tyres/saddle.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I did the same - wasn't purely for looks (honest) as I wanted to move to semi compact and was cheaper to buy a new chainset than just the rings. No difference expect front shifting is a teeny bit better. FYI I got the 4 bolt 105 chainset for £80 from CRC and sold the R500 on Ebay for £45 so didn't really cost a lot of money (and does look better!)