CS2

2»

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Not that there's much of a cycle path out here but here's an example of just how well maintained and respected by other road users, shame the rain has hidden all the glass

https://youtu.be/Wt3o6G13IO4
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    SME wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Argh, motorcyclist pulled up next to me, right next to me, as in touching. When I questioned him as to why he told me I should be in the cycle lane. Being advised I should be in the cycle lane must be around 1/4 of my journeys along there.

So is it now law, written in stone, that because a cycle lame is there we must use it? Quite frankly I'm leaning towards letting the Boris Bikers use it and staying in the road myself - I reckon most of the riders on this forum could keep up with traffic without hindering it.

I didn't get the memo, but apparently so.
    Probably can't see this, but I was doing 25mph between the lights.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/611217834/analysis
    While I will (probably very unwisely) do this in the cycle lane, I will head on to the road in case I need to overtake someone, or the cycle lane is unsuitable for various reasons (I don't want to wait at the cycle lane red lights when I need to go straight ahead on green, or there are people milling around a bus stop crossing)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • BobMcbob
    BobMcbob Posts: 104
    SME wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Argh, motorcyclist pulled up next to me, right next to me, as in touching. When I questioned him as to why he told me I should be in the cycle lane. Being advised I should be in the cycle lane must be around 1/4 of my journeys along there.

It's always motorcyclists, I'm unsure of why(?) as its not as if they are being held up. Had a few conversations, most have been pleasant and agree with the "They are dangerous. Would you ride your down there at 20mph?" argument. Fact is they are designed for Boris bike speeds, not for faster cyclists cycling longer distances.

The lanes are advisory, so if where I deem them dangerous (most of CS2) I do not do not use them. If other road users complain, frankly, that's their problem. I do try to educate those that listen, but there will always be a minority (East London has more than average) of ignorant Knob-heads who are beyond reproach!
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    jds_1981 wrote:
    SME wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:

So is it now law, written in stone, that because a cycle lame is there we must use it? Quite frankly I'm leaning towards letting the Boris Bikers use it and staying in the road myself - I reckon most of the riders on this forum could keep up with traffic without hindering it.

I didn't get the memo, but apparently so.
    Probably can't see this, but I was doing 25mph between the lights.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/611217834/analysis
    While I will (probably very unwisely) do this in the cycle lane, I will head on to the road in case I need to overtake someone, or the cycle lane is unsuitable for various reasons (I don't want to wait at the cycle lane red lights when I need to go straight ahead on green, or there are people milling around a bus stop crossing)

Yes, you can see your speed between the lights if you ride the mouse over the graph.

I didn't know there was any decent cycle access along the Lee - might try a different route (thanks)... https://www.strava.com/activities/592435314
    ... But,for me, the worst part of CS2 is between Aldgate and Mile End/Bow, especially the city end. It's always strewn with all types of litter, cans or bottles that could jam your wheels, slippery plastic bags (especially in the wet), lorry drivers unloading, and pedestrians who just want to walk right in the middle with their Dr Beat headphones on!

Despite loud shouts of "Oi, beepbeep, behind you," etc I still nearly rode past a guy close enough to whip his headphones off... "Sorry mate, I didn't hear you"... "Did you see the blue lane you're walking in, a$$w!pe?" Probably not - he was reading his kindle too!!!

That's it.. I've talked myself into it - I'm sticking to the road. Sorry Boris, you got this one wrong!
  • jds_1981
    Things parked in it. A generator or something yesterday. A van unloading beer barrels today. Proper pools in places (although the road itself had at least one massive puddle)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981
    Someone in a van shouted something at me today, not sure what it was though as I was going up over the flyover while they were heading down towards the roundabout. Suspect it was something about not using the cycle lane though.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • BobMcbob
    Usual problems at commercial street right filter, I see this at least twice a week.

HGV gets in the right turn filter, and rather than continuing the right turn like a normal person, stops in the filter and blocks the entire phase. Then on the next green tries to cut through the junction, nobody lets him in of course, and the next phase is also blocked. It's 'effing dangerous and causes havoc through the preceding two sets of lights... the entire junction needs to be under cameras and yellow boxes.

This time a bunch of BTP goons were in a van behind the said HGV and just sat there doing sweet fa.
  • SME
    BobMcbob wrote:
    Usual problems at commercial street right filter, I see this at least twice a week.

..... It's 'effing dangerous and causes havoc through the preceding two sets of lights... the entire junction needs to be under cameras and yellow boxes.

This time a bunch of BTP goons were in a van behind the said HGV and just sat there doing sweet fa.

Agreed, but I thought cameras were already at the junction. :?

Do BTP have any jurisdiction on public highways (I really don't know)?
  • BobMcbob
    No Cameras, may have been some before it was remodelled. There is now half a box section that has appeared on the opposite side of the road, not entirely sure the purpose of this. The ASL that was there has not been painted back. I really do wonder who plans this stuff, do they ever use the infrastructure themselves?

Apparently BTP can intervene if they have reasonable grounds that an offence has/is being committed... but can't see them doing much about things like this unless someone is hit or killed.
  • Saw an Uber in the side of a coach at Commercial street junction today. Looked very much like he was in the 'wrong' right turn lane, and wanted to go straight on (probably glued to his out of date sat nav), tried to push his way in and.. hits side of the coach.
    Bollards between the left lane & right turn lane would stop this happening.
  • SME
    BobMcbob wrote:
    Saw an Uber in the side of a coach at Commercial street junction today. Looked very much like he was in the 'wrong' right turn lane, and wanted to go straight on (probably glued to his out of date sat nav), tried to push his way in and.. hits side of the coach.
    Bollards between the left lane & right turn lane would stop this happening.

Clearly something needs to be addressed at that junction.

I've stopped using the cycle lane now in favour of the smoother, litter and debris free, nodder and pedestrian free, road and bus lane. I feel a lot safer, and my commute journey is quicker too.
  • I've only ever had one experience with CS2 and I got left-hooked by a van as I was heading westbound at the junction with Stepney Green. I will never again use the cycle lane should I have the misfortune to have to use Mile End Rd. It's downright dangerous.
  • Absolute sh**t show this morning, junctions blocked, people stepping into the lane hiding behind bins, dodging rubbish, crap and broken drains, & trying not to get hit by shoaling goons.
    Not only is CS2 slower than before, it's now more dangerous. You have to be very alert + be prepared to take regular abuse from imbeciles when you take the main carriageway (to avoid lefts hook or being crushed by market traders due to inept design. Thank you London borough of Tower Hamlets )