New Wheels

simong81
simong81 Posts: 19
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I ride a Wilier GTR full carbon road bike. I am your average rider that enjoys a Saturday or Sunday morning road ride. This year I plan on doing a few sportives and have four booked already.

I have been for a little while toying with the idea or upgrading my wheelset. Currently on there are the standard wheels that came with the bike, Miche GTR 1 (I cant even find these on the internet).

I am not looking at spending absolutely load of money, I was looking in the £300 - £500 bracket. For this money what would you recommend?

However I saw a brand new set of Campagnolo Scirocco 35 Road Wheelset 2016 for £140 or a set of Campagnolo Zonda Wheelset for £209. Would you rate either of these for the money or am I better spending more like my orginal budget? Again if so what wheels would you recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    IMHO Zondas!
  • £209 for Zondas is very good - where id you see it?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    £209 for Zondas is very good - where id you see it?

I was going to ask that!
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    There are about a million posts on this topic already. The consensus, to the extent that there is one, appears to be:

Zondas
    Mavic Ksyrium Elite
    Handbuilts

If you're looking at the cheap end (<£250) I'd also look at Wiggle's Cosine 30s. They're about £220, light and tubeless-ready. Above £450 and below £1600, I'd have some built.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The Cosine 30s do look quite good but Wiggle are flagging them as out of stock until May. Unfortunately, I measured my Zondas yesterday and regretted it in some ways as it confirmed my suspicions that they were getting a tad worn. Calipers varied between 1mm and 0.7mm so that is them toasted after about 16 months but I have done about 6,000 miles on them in all weathers. Shame to lose them though as they have been very good albeit a tad harsh (although this is mitigated to a degree by running 25s at 80/70). I ordered some AR24s to give them a try as winter wheels, only £180 (with some shorts and a jersey thrown in) so figured they would be worth having a look at.

Now, need to think about some sunny day wheels for the summer...