What will a new bike really do for me..

carbineacs
carbineacs Posts: 65
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Currently, I've got a CAAD8 105, I've upgraded it with Ultegra wheels, brakes, and pedals. Conti GP4000SII 25mm tyres, Fizik Arione Saddle and Deda Zero stem. I'm half tempted to do some more upgrades, not really sure why, I just like the look of things!

I keep finding myself looking for other bikes, and keep eyeing up the Cannondale SuperSix Evo HM Ultegra. Half of me is thinking 'I want it, I love it already!' and the other half of me is thinking 'why?!' I think n+1 is stuck in my head.

There is nothing wrong with my CAAD8 (that I know of!) but of there is this niggling feeling, that if I got on the Supersix, I would somehow be 5mph avg faster and it would feel like laying in the softest snug bed ever over rough road.. which is of course total BS. I'm not sure I fall for the 'road buzz / vibration' marketing hype. The SS does get some mega reviews though.

What will a bike like a Supersix Evo HM, or even Colnago V1-R (another bike I've fallen in love with) really give me compared to the CAAD8? For reference, my CAAD8 now weighs 8.4kg, and is a 2013 model. I really like the paint job on my CAAD8 as it shows of it's Aluminium nicely. I've been riding for around 3 years (mountain biking even longer, but road is my main thing now) and do club rides every Sunday and sportives. Not entered a race yet, but would like to this year perhaps. I ride around 80 - 100 miles a week.

Am I just trying to justify a new bike to myself, or is there really a big difference between my modified CAAD8 and what I would call a 'superbike' (anything that has a UCI logo stamped on it! :P )
Rule #65 // Maintain and respect your machine.

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    5mph faster I doubt but it will put a big smile on your face and make you want to ride more. :)
    I ride a PX Pro Carbon and a Canyon Ultimate CF SL, both are great bikes and fun to ride.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    ^^ What he said.
  • lol, I was joking about the 5mph part! However, why would it put a big(er) smile on my face? Technically I mean.. would it actually be more fun to ride, or is it just the psychological effect knowing you're on a superbike?

Going from my heavy Carrera Virtuoso to the CAAD8 was quite a difference in 'feel' but I put most of that down to the alloy fork it had, and the Cannondale being generally much higher quality parts and build. I'm not sure the same step up would be true for the CAAD8 to the SuperSix, but as I've never ridden one, I don't know!

I know in MTB there is a huge difference going from a heavy bike to a light one (although I wouldn't' call my CAAD8 heavy!) but you tend to accelerate out of corners a lot more than you do on a road bike, with the nature of tight trails.

I'm not sold yet!
  • It will make you more attractive to the same sex, which works for some and not for others...
    left the forum March 2023
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Would make you smile and ride more, as others have said. It's a mental thing. Also makes sense if you kept the CAAD8 as a "foul weather" or winter bike. This might mean the components on your "best bike" last a touch longer, as you presumably wouldn't be exposing it to the same nasty conditions that you might be willing to use the CAAD8 in. And, if one bike is off the road for any reason, you can keep riding one of them! If you can get 'guards on the CAAD8 it would worth doing...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • You will look and feel so much faster it will be worth it...
  • N1TRO
    N1TRO Posts: 103
    And they say cycling is cheap...

Is speed really the ultimate measure? You've obviously fallen for a certain bike for some reason, and doubtless it would be nice to show some new wheels at that club ride next sunday... But at what cost ? And couldn't there be a different solution? There seems to be nothing wrong with your current bike, apart from maybe you've grown bored of it a bit.

I was looking through the classifieds a bit yesterday and found this really sweet vintage steel road bike - great condition, blue paintjob, downtube shifters even! And for a tenth of the price of what I ride. I would have had it, if the frame was my size (which it never is with these old bikes, since I'm an S-M size kinda guy).

So perhaps you're just looking for something different, something to switch things up a bit. Why not try to find a really different bike that will really turn heads. It won't burn a hole in your pocket and you might start liking it even more. :)
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Life is too short, if you find a bike you want & can afford it, get it (you can never have too many bikes :D).

The supersix EVO is supposed to be an absolute awesome bike. Just don't go falling in to the trap of thinking it will guarantee a significant increase in speed or instantly turn you in to a GT winner.

Given how much you love your Caad 8 I would advise you to keep hold of that regardless.
  • That's a good point N1tro, maybe time to get onto ebay to find some 'special' stuff!

But from the looks of things, what everyone is saying is that a fancy new carbon bike is only going to give me something new and exciting, probably nothing more in the way of speed or comfort. Like I say, I can't fault my CAAD8 with it's current setup. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something that everyone else is keeping secret..!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Why not take one on a test ride?
  • Not sure.. bit scared! My LBS doesn't have the SuperSix Evo HiMod in stock, so that would mean them getting one in, and if I took it for a long ride and didn't want it, then I would feel bad they went to all of that effort for me to say 'Thanks, but no thanks'.. Also with a test ride, I think you can convince yourself that you want the bike and find that it's 'faster' and more comfortable when it's not really. Which is why I'm asking for other peoples advice who have had one for a while, or ride a nice race bike vs a mid range alloy one to see what the differences really are.. not what I've decided they are as I like the look of the bike!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No harm in being honest with them and see what they say?

TBH if you are a 56 or 58 the frameset is now so cheap you can't afford not to upgrade!
  • wahla21
    wahla21 Posts: 96
    I would feel the same way as you with asking the LBS to order one in only for you to say no.
    However, that is the whole point of a bike shop, so you will b able to test a bike before buying it. They can use it for later or send it back.

Just do it!
  • Make you smile?
  • llu02
    llu02 Posts: 29
    go extra mile for each ride:)