Sram Rival discs + fitting and tinkering tips and tools

2»

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,877
    Awesome stuff Mike, just remember mine is 160\140, and you are looking to step it up a size on both counts - not sure if that means you need different bracketry.

As you can probably tell from this thread, my knowledge of disc brakes can be written on a borrowers postage stamp.

I did figure out from a review how to use the tool, there was me thinking there might be something more sophisticated\complicate about it - ordered the CRC one, and it's already on the way, so tomorrow or Saturday I reckon, so maybe get another shot at the Cannondale at the weekend, small children allowing, and of course I am determined to actually get out on the bike this weekend.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,877
    So L2R's suggested gadget and Mike Brew's rotor straightener, both of which I had no idea existed, have comprehensively rescued my sanity.

I have updated the title so hopefully it is more likely to come up in a search should anyone carry one out.

I just spent my lunch hour tinkering with the bike - front wheel first, so made sure the back of the rotor and the locations it bolted too were clean from any debris.
    Popped it in the bike, and spun it to get plenty of rubbing.
    Loosened off the calliper, and put the gadget in place, pumped the lever, held and tightened.
    This seemed to leave me with 2 main rub points as it span - marked with a marker pen, and then sput the area to the top, and gave it a tweak with the other tool - a bit hit and miss, but thought I had it perfect, no noise - then applied the brake, spun it, and it had strted again - back to square one.
    Another round of straightening, and this time even with pumping the lever we seem to have no rubbing, though I part wonder if it will start again later or tomorrow, as presumably the gentle bends I have put into the disc may undo over time?

So onto the rear.

I left this with the stock cheapy rotor, as I had almost got it perfect before, but decided to loosen off the calliper, and pop the gadget in, repeated the brake pump\hold\tighten bolts routine, but this time it was terrible - must be the pull on the calliper as you tighen the bolts, especially the top one.
    Tinkered around with it manually, and improved it, then tried bending it gently, but there was several touch points, and as soon as I reduced one, another one would come up.
    I tried the gadget once more, this time I just put it in, and didn't pump or hold the lever, and then just did the bolts up gently - spun the wheel, and no rubbing.
    Hmmm, I think lets pump the lever and it will all start again, but no, it spins, and it spins, and it doesn't rub, and it spins and it spins and it spins, as if it's life depends on it spinning - same as the front actually.
    It's a beautiful spinning disc of loveliness.

*BOTH WHEELS SPIN WITHOUT RUBBING!!!!!!!!!!

Unbelievable, so a massive thankyou to everyone, especially L2R and MB for their suggestions, they have saved my sanity and made my bike ridable.
    And for the grand sum of £14!
    Less than the cost of a decent rotor.
    Lets gloss over the fact I bought a new rotor.

I hope this thread might also prove useful to others as well, aside from proving how damned brilliant this forum is :D

*for the moment
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18