Weight of Fulcrum S5 wheels

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
I couldn't find the answer to this question on the Internet when I was buying my Roubaix, so now that I've finally taken them off, here are the results:
    Front wheel - 840g without the Q/R skewer
    Rear wheel - 1170g without the Q/R skewer (but with the plastic spoke protector disk)
These were stock wheels on a couple of 2015 Specialized models, including my own Roubaix Elite. My new "Winter wheels" (Superstar Pave 28) save almost a pound (around 400g, in fact) over the stock wheelset.
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• Giraffoto wrote:
    I couldn't find the answer to this question on the Internet when I was buying my Roubaix, so now that I've finally taken them off, here are the results:
      Rear wheel - 1170g without the Q/R skewer (but with the plastic spoke protector disk)
    These were stock wheels on a couple of 2015 Specialized models, including my own Roubaix Elite. My new "Winter wheels" (Superstar Pave 28) save almost a pound (around 400g, in fact) over the stock wheelset.

Did you weigh the Pave 28s or just off the listing?
  • Giraffoto
    edited January 2016
    Giraffoto wrote:

I did weigh them - about 1600g the pair. [Edit - I weighed the Pave wheels with the rim tapes on and with a luggage scale that gives varying results. The shop quote 1555g which I believe to be an accurate figure]
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Cheers for this post - I've tried unsuccessfully to find out this very question over the last week or so!
  • cmcdonnell
    cmcdonnell Posts: 97
    edited January 2016
    That's a shocking weight for the Fulcrums, is that rear without a cassette? Are the S5's the same as the Racing 5's as I've never heard of them. I've had a set of Racing 3's on my winter bike and they were slightly underweight at 665g and 880g which seemed good value for the £250 I paid. I can only speak for the Campagnolo ED10 freehub version but I have heard that the Shimano compatible ones are heavier.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    "Bloody heavy" in summary then.
  • cmcdonnell wrote:
    That's a shocking weight for the Fulcrums, is that rear without a cassette? Are the S5's the same as the Racing 5's as I've never heard of them. I've had a set of Racing 3's on my winter bike and they were slightly underweight at 665g and 880g which seemed good value for the £250 I paid. I can only speak for the Campagnolo ED10 freehub version but I have heard that the Shimano compatible ones are heavier.
    I think the S5 are similar to the racing sport or racing 7.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I recollect reading that the S5s are a combination of the Racing 5 and Racing 7. So if I remember correctly the hubs from one and the rim from another.

Edit: just saw this below on an old RoadCC review, which is what I was thinking of.
    "The S4 wheels are a fusion between a Fulcrum 5 hub and Fulcrum 3 rim"
    So at a guess the S5 could be a combination of 7 hub and 5 rim
  • From what I understand Fulcrum make a bunch of wheels (to a budget I suppose) for bike manufacturers such as Specialized, Cervelo and so on that are not available to buy normally. Getting details about these is not easy :)

I'm glad they're heavy...means I can knock a lot of weight off just by putting my Zondas on :)
  • ps I suspect they deliberately name them to sound similar to the ones people know and love...and which are a few hundred grams lighter ;)
  • ps I suspect they deliberately name them to sound similar to the ones people know and love...and which are a few hundred grams lighter ;)
    well thy're not going to call them fulcrum anchors...
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:

I did weigh them - about 1600g the pair.

Not a bad weight for ride to work wheels. Whats the spoke count ?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Paves are 20/24 IIRC.
    But they seem pretty solid!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Giraffoto
    cmcdonnell wrote:
    That's a shocking weight for the Fulcrums, is that rear without a cassette?

No cassette, no Q/R skewer, no tyre or tube. Only a plastic spoke protector disk and the rim tape. The Pave wheels have 20 front spokes, laced radially, and 24 at the back laced two cross - the same arrangement as the ones on the Fulcrum S5s . On the Paves they're butted, on the Fulcrum S5s they're plain gauge.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Giraffoto
    As a postscript - I'm slowly overhauling an "entry level" road bike for my son. When it was new (a few years ago now) Halfords would have charged £350 for one. When I showed him the new Pave wheels on my bike his first question was, "so, can I have the old wheels off your bike on my bike now?"
    "If they turn out to be lighter," I said, "certainly you can."
    So last night I took the wheels off the Carrera. I found myself, for some reason, humming "Any old iron".
      Front wheel (yes, the front one), no Q/R, no tyre, no tube - 1100g
        Rear wheel, no cassette, no Q/R, no tyre, no tube, no spoke disc - 1480g
        So I managed to re-use the OE wheels off the Roubaix and still knock half a Kg off the overall weight of the Carrera. In conclusion . . .
          OE wheels can be shockingly heavy
          The further you go down the price scale, the more shocking it gets
        XM-057 rigid 29er
      • tamlad
        tamlad Posts: 61
        [/quote]well thy're not going to call them fulcrum anchors...[/quote]

I had to reply to repost the above quoted line cause it's genius and made me laugh :lol::lol::lol:
      • bigmitch41
        bigmitch41 Posts: 685
        Ive got the Racing 5's on my Tarmac and already thinking of upgrading, the wheels are ok as training wheels but it looks like a lighter wheel set is going to be on the cards.

Been looking at the Zondas but the Eurus keep catching my eye!!
        Paracyclist
        @Bigmitch_racing
        2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
        2014 Whyte T129-S
        2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
        Big Mitch - YouTube
      • Bobbinogs
        Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
        ~£250 to save ~140g. Doesn't seem that bad but the 1600g of the Zondas isn't that bad to start with. Personally, I find most wheels ~1500g - 1600g feel good for climbing. The greater premium then becomes stiffness to keep the wheel straight in the blocks without rubbing, although at 65kg and a power weakling it isn't that important for me!