Sram Red etap compatibility with Shimano chainset?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,938
edited August 2019 in Road buying advice
Just been watching the GCN installation review thing on the Etap, and very impressed with it.

Does anyone know if theoretically you could get the kit of shifters and derailleurs to work successfully with Ultegra 6800 Chainset\cassette and chain?

Would that make it Sramano?
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    yes it will work fine.

all 11 speed chainsets, cassettes and chains are interchangeable.

i'd recommend getting the SRAM red brakes to go with it if you upgrade though
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,938
    Thanks SP, that's good to know.

Thinking about it, I reckon I will wait until prices settle a bit, and then go the whole hog with chainset, cassette and brakes included, can see the whole groupset being available for circa £1000-£1200 in a couple of years, and I guess Shimano might well have a competitor out by then as well, if they are not already working on one.

Anyone know if a SRAM Red chainset is compatible with BB91 pressfit BB that the Scott comes with?

Then, I can transfer my 6800 groupset, minus the brakes and shifters, onto my Synapse, and buy some RS685's\shifters to convert that to Shimano, once the current Rival set is worn out.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • neilr4
    neilr4 Posts: 161
    I was thinking along the same lines.....

Have DA 9000 mechanical, don't like shimano Di2 because the shifting paddles are too small. Like the look and feel of etap (wireless :lol: ) but would only be interested in the SRAM drivetrain, their brakes wouldn't touch DA for quality!!

Anyone know if the drivetrain would be for sale on it's own?
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
    SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    yes neil, the upgrade kit is £1180. that is - mechs, batteries, shifters, pc link, charger

However the pull ratio on the brakes will be different. I really recommend using the sram red brakes with the etap levers.
  • neilr4
    neilr4 Posts: 161
    spasypaddy wrote:
    However the pull ratio on the brakes will be different. I really recommend using the sram red brakes with the etap levers.

Hmmmmmm..... :roll:
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
    SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'
  • llu02
    llu02 Posts: 29
    spasypaddy wrote:
    yes neil, the upgrade kit is £1180. that is - mechs, batteries, shifters, pc link, charger

Looking forward to try it...
  • jte77
    jte77 Posts: 2
    spasypaddy wrote:

I'm curious about what you mean by the "pull ratio". I'm running the SRAM Red eTap groupset with Shimano Dura-Ace 9000 brakes. I've not noticed anything unusual, albeit I am using full carbon rims. The latter point being, it's always a case of squeeze and hope in certain scenarios.

FYI, everything else in my groupset is Shimano DA9000, except the cranks. They are SISL2. Everything running very well in that combo.
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    Apologies for the thread-bump but I'm keen to find out if anyone else has had a mix of Shimano 105/Ultegra components and the SRAM tap groupset?

Is it possible that I would not need to change chainsets as I already have 11-speed wheels. I could save a fair amount if all I had to purchase was the etap and an 11-speed cassette (again, does this need to be SRAM)?

An article here from Cycling Weekly that I read states:

"What’s more, you can take note of that £1,180 price-tag for the electrical components, even if you’re using Shimano on your existing bike. SRAM Red eTap will work perfectly well with a Shimano crankset and cassette, so you could possibly make the massive jump from running the latest version of Shimano 105 to full wireless SRAM Red eTap for only a little more than a grand."

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Any Shimano 11 speed chainset will work fine. Any Shimano 11 speed casette or chain will work fine also. The spacing is the same.

As for brakes. There is so much range of adjustment on the newer Shimano brakes it's much easier to find a workable setting with Sram levers. Sram brakes lack adjustment so don't work the other way quite as well .
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    My SRAM eTAP works perfectly with my 12-29 Campagnolo cassette.
  • mekong_velo
    mekong_velo Posts: 102
    Anybody know what is the maximum size of rear cassette you can use with the Sram etap rear mech, will it handle a 32 tooth Shimano cassette ?

Regards
    Cervelo R3
    Tarmac Elite
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    trailflow wrote:
    Any Shimano 11 speed chainset will work fine. Any Shimano 11 speed casette or chain will work fine also. The spacing is the same.

As for brakes. There is so much range of adjustment on the newer Shimano brakes it's much easier to find a workable setting with Sram levers. Sram brakes lack adjustment so don't work the other way quite as well .

That's not true. I built a bike for someone with Shimano 105 5800 and SRAM Force22 brake callipers. HIs braking is fine.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    Anybody know what is the maximum size of rear cassette you can use with the Sram etap rear mech, will it handle a 32 tooth Shimano cassette ?

Regards

I've read an 11-28 is the maximum.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    philthy3 wrote:
    That's not true. I built a bike for someone with Shimano 105 5800 and SRAM Force22 brake callipers. HIs braking is fine.

Have you tried Force 22 levers with Force22 brakes ? and did you feel the difference ? working fine and knowing exactly how they should work are two different animals.

I've ridden DA9000 brakes with Red22 levers then switched to Red22 levers with DA9000 brakes, Then Red22/Red22 now im back on DA9000/DA9000 The difference between them is very real and they are optimally designed to work together. It's not a myth. The modulation and force requirements differ between them and was clearly noticeable to me. The Sram calipers are not as well thought out as Shimano and lack almost any adjustment. On the Shimano calipers there is small screw on the side that really changes how fast the brake curve is. Further out = less power = more modulation. Further in - more power = less modulation.

If you have the calipers try it yourself. The difference between the fully out vs fully in of the screw is huge. So you can fine tune them to a suitable setting that you like. Sram calipers have no adjustment like this only a screw that change the return spring stiffness. They perform more static and are harder to tune or change to find a better feel at the lever if you cross brands. Testing all those combinations i got a much better idea of what is meant to work with what and why. Sram calipers work with Shimano levers to an acceptable degree yes but not nearly as well in my experience as the adjustability that Shimano calipers provide to help you dial in a 'sweet spot' so to speak.
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    Bill Gates wrote:

Regards

I've read an 11-28 is the maximum.

A friend of mine runs it and he couldn't use more than 11-28
  • StillGoing
    trailflow wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Have you tried Force 22 levers with Force22 brakes ? and did you feel the difference ? working fine and knowing exactly how they should work are two different animals.

I've ridden DA9000 brakes with Red22 levers then switched to Red22 levers with DA9000 brakes, Then Red22/Red22 now im back on DA9000/DA9000 The difference between them is very real and they are optimally designed to work together. It's not a myth. The modulation and force requirements differ between them and was clearly noticeable to me. The Sram calipers are not as well thought out as Shimano and lack almost any adjustment. On the Shimano calipers there is small screw on the side that really changes how fast the brake curve is. Further out = less power = more modulation. Further in - more power = less modulation.

If you have the calipers try it yourself. The difference between the fully out vs fully in of the screw is huge. So you can fine tune them to a suitable setting that you like. Sram calipers have no adjustment like this only a screw that change the return spring stiffness. They perform more static and are harder to tune or change to find a better feel at the lever if you cross brands. Testing all those combinations i got a much better idea of what is meant to work with what and why. Sram calipers work with Shimano levers to an acceptable degree yes but not nearly as well in my experience as the adjustability that Shimano calipers provide to help you dial in a 'sweet spot' so to speak.

It will depend on what you want from braking other than actually stopping. As long as applying pressure isn't locking up the wheel, how the rider wants that braking effect to feel is subjective. I like firm instant bite and can achieve that with SRAM levers and Shimano brake calipers, and vice-versa. The only problem I have ever had is with a 105 5810 rear brake, but that is more a fault of the design of the bike mounting it under the BB.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Has anyone tried running e-tap with Look Zed 2 cranks? I've read some non-SRAM chainsets can snag the FD adjustment screws (filing these down or using shorter ones fix the issue in some cases but want to be sure I can get it working with a Zed 2 chainset as I don't intend changing that).
  • StillGoing
    nferrar wrote:
    Has anyone tried running e-tap with Look Zed 2 cranks? I've read some non-SRAM chainsets can snag the FD adjustment screws (filing these down or using shorter ones fix the issue in some cases but want to be sure I can get it working with a Zed 2 chainset as I don't intend changing that).

The screw length fouls on the crank arm. Some cut it short, but I understand SRAM are working on a compromise.
  • BillyImp
    BillyImp Posts: 130
    Sorry to bump this thread, but has anyone actually had success with a Sram eTap groupset and Shimano crankset? I struggled to get it shifting properly on my TT bike this year and resorted to removing the front mech and just running a single chainring up front but would like to get the front mech back on if I can get it to work properly.
  • StillGoing
    BillyImp wrote:
    Sorry to bump this thread, but has anyone actually had success with a Sram eTap groupset and Shimano crankset? I struggled to get it shifting properly on my TT bike this year and resorted to removing the front mech and just running a single chainring up front but would like to get the front mech back on if I can get it to work properly.

If it is an 11 speed crankset, it will work with SRAM eTap. It doesn't matter what make or model it is.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,268
    ^^^this, even a 9 or 10-speed chainset is also fine with etap

the fd can be fiddly to set up, sram's instructions may be right when used with their yaw chainrings, but with others i think it needs some experiment

i ended up fitting mine slightly higher tha sram says, others have reported needing to angle it out a smidge

fit it and see, it's much easier to tweak position than with a cabled fd
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • BillyImp
    BillyImp Posts: 130
    sungod wrote:
    ^^^this, even a 9 or 10-speed chainset is also fine with etap

the fd can be fiddly to set up, sram's instructions may be right when used with their yaw chainrings, but with others i think it needs some experiment

i ended up fitting mine slightly higher tha sram says, others have reported needing to angle it out a smidge

fit it and see, it's much easier to tweak position than with a cabled fd

Brilliant, thank you all for the replies.

I had the limit screw issue on it's maiden voyage when I initially fitted the eTap upgrade and I was told by SRAM tech centre that this was because I was using a Shimano crankset and that if I continued to use it I would void the warranty and risk damaging the front mech itself. I'll get it back on the bike over Christmas and have a play around, the issue I was having was that the chain was catching on the inside of the outer ring when in the lowest 3 gears on the cassette. So for instance, when in the 44t on the front and then on the 11t, 12t or 13t on the rear, the chain would catch on the inside of the big ring, picking the chain up momentarily before dropping it again. I had no issues shifting up into the 55t, it just seemed a shame it rendered at least 3 gears unusable. Could this be due to using after market chainrings? They are made by FibreLyte if that's any help.
  • BillyImp wrote:
    I had no issues shifting up into the 55t, it just seemed a shame it rendered at least 3 gears unusable. Could this be due to using after market chainrings? They are made by FibreLyte if that's any help.
    Try a 53t instead of the 55t.
  • I had to re-adjust the FD when I first rode the bike after it's build that's with a SRAM Red chainset, it seems finicky to set up but once done it is on the money everytime.

On a different but similar genre I queried the shift speed and a possible Firmaware upgrade, this is apparently not in the pipeline and the following link was sent to me which makes interesting reading especially that the pros are using 1170 cassettes for a 'sharper' shift and not the Red cassette and the fact that I am probably one of those riders who likes to quick shift/mash the gears which according to SRAM causes more drivetrain wear etc, I have SRAM Red mechanical on another bike and the shift feels 'crisper' to eTap. SRAM were very quick to respond back both times I contacted them which is good I think. The link:

https://www.sram.com/stories/electronic-evolution
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • Adolf
    Adolf Posts: 2
    I have Sram Etap working with Shimano Dura Ace cassette even better than was working with Sram cassette. I am using Shimanno Ultegra "Direct mouth" brakes and they works fantastic, better than with Shimano shifters.
  • Adolf
    Adolf Posts: 2
    Alexander Kristoff using also with his Sram components Dura Ace brakes.
    https://cyclingtips.com/2016/06/pro-bik ... ad-cf-slx/
  • Holy thread bump there, Adolf! :shock:

But anyway. I've got Ultegra brakes with eTap levers (sacrilege I know!) and they work no probs. Also the 10-speed SRAM chainset is doing the job. Pity about the failing rear derailleur...