This is a whole new level of wrong

Comments

• Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    I am utterly convinced that this thing should be kept in a cage, covered with a shroud in a locked in a dark room several feet under...
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    It's certainly unusual, hardly pretty and not something I would want or have use for.

But it looks like Manfred does some serious cycling on it and it works for him.
  • Herdwick wrote:
    I am utterly convinced that this thing should be kept in a cage, covered with a shroud in a locked in a dark room several feet under...
    :mrgreen: Oh, fine, that your body is much rougher than mine! :)

Regularly for a lot of years I take part in international long distance cycling events like Paris-Brest-Paris, London-Edinburg-London, Vologda-Onega-Ladoga, TransRussia, ....
    I’m an old man, who still learns with pleasure, but I’m a rookie in this forum.

Thus, "Herdwick", I don’t know you.
    When you think, that I can learn from you, so please help me!
    In which extreme cycling marathons did you take part?
    With which kind of bicycle could you finish?
    ...and because of what reason, do you think, your bicycle is better for your body?

Regularly for a lot of years I take part in international long distance cycling events like Paris-Brest-Paris, London-Edinburg-London, Vologda-Onega-Ladoga, TransRussia, ....

...and because of what reason, do you think, your bicycle is better for your body
    In the words of Kelso, sorry just watched That 70s show. Does look far out and unorthodox but have you tried a trip across Europe on a R1 (begging for comfort).

that-70s-show-burns.jpg

BigAl wrote:
    It's certainly unusual, hardly pretty and not something I would want or have use for.

But it looks like Manfred does some serious cycling on it and it works for him.
    Have to agree with this. He obviously put the miles in and function must take priority over form. Also fair play to him for coming on here and explaining.
    Manfred, you are clearly a little crazy and you have my respect for it. :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Reminds me of this story https://www.electricbike.com/lightest-bike/ lots on here are quick to condemn e-bikes but it's keeping a 74year old doing what he loves, Manfred found himself in a similar position and built a bike that allowed him to keep doing the riding he loves. Should we judge anyone who wants to ride like we all love to do but due to a physical limitation has to build a unique bike to allow them to do it, and unique in ways we otherwise wouldn't usually think reasonable.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    One would sums it up for me if i am still cycling at the age of 74 who are we to criticise or Mock the only word I can use is Respect Manfred-T
  • snowster wrote:
    One would sums it up for me if i am still cycling at the age of 74 who are we to criticise or Mock the only word I can use is Respect Manfred-T
    :)
    The older I get, the less significant is the appearance of my bicycles. But the older I get, the more the bicycle must compensate the age-related physical infirmities. The older I get, the more the bicycle becomes a prosthesis of my body.
    ... and of course the old Gorilla needs a special Gorilla's prosthesis! :lol:

If I look into my passport, I must find out that I am 63.
    I am incredibly glad that my bicycles cannot read my passport! :D

Reminds me of this story https://www.electricbike.com/lightest-bike/ lots on here are quick to condemn e-bikes but it's keeping a 74year old doing what he loves, Manfred found himself in a similar position and built a bike that allowed him to keep doing the riding he loves. Should we judge anyone who wants to ride like we all love to do but due to a physical limitation has to build a unique bike to allow them to do it, and unique in ways we otherwise wouldn't usually think reasonable.

7.66Kg for an E Bike and at his age..........I bow to this man #keeping the dream alive. I struggle to get a normal XC HT under 10Kg.

Read through the post, not sure if I missed something, but is the bike using constant motor drive or is it only used in bursts? I know Lithium Ion batteries are the best for holding charge etc, but he must be using such a small amount of cells for the weight. So I can only think the electric is used in short bursts or the motor used is highly efficient.
  • Gotta give manfred kudos here. While I dismissed the bike in my first post due to it be wildly inappropriate for my own riding needs, it's certainly sounds like the bike does everything he asks of it, and does it with a style and grace that makes it a joy to ride over massive distances.

Really reinforces the old advice of 'don't judge a book by its cover'
  • Gotta give manfred kudos here. While I dismissed the bike in my first post due to it be wildly inappropriate for my own riding needs, it's certainly sounds like the bike does everything he asks of it, and does it with a style and grace that makes it a joy to ride over massive distances.

Really reinforces the old advice of 'don't judge a book by its cover'

I will agree with you 100%, the bike seems to serve a purpose and from what I have read it does so, so gracefully.

I am stuck at 26" and QR atm as the market moves on.

But the market will always move on and develop due to profit, if you like something and it works for you then why are we all pressured for the newest idea.
  • I don't ever remember 26" being inadequate. That is what I learnt to ride on.

Now we have 26", 29", 650b, plus all the new plus sizes coming in and the different locking specs. I can still ride 26" and the new formats.

It seems like the companies are driving things forward for profit.

I am all for "manfred" here. and even though the bike looks odd. It seems fit for purpose.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If the bike is perfect for what this weirdo enjoys most then you can't argue with that.
  • Herdwick
    Manfred-T wrote:
    Herdwick wrote:

...and because of what reason, do you think, your bicycle is better for your body?

I use to run marathons, I passed months walking around with ripped toenails because of long hours out training, so I am not in long distance running any more because is not pleasant or rewarding, offers nothing in return and doesn't comes any close to mtb in terms of action, adrenalin rush and having great times with friends.

No, I never competed in any long distance cycling events of that matter, see above.

Riding a bike so heavily modified means either you got the wrong bike, don't know how to set up a bike or it's time to resign if it's to painful for your aged body, move to something less stressful

And yes sir, I respect your efforts and love for cycling but that bike is an ektroma :mrgreen:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not only a quote fail, but a serious attitude fail.
    Herdwick wrote:
    Riding a bike so heavily modified means either you got the wrong bike, don't know how to set up a bike or it's time to resign if it's to painful for your aged body, move to something less stressful

You come across as a total knob.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    Just because it doesn't conform to normal expectations of what a bike should look like, does not mean it is not ideally suited to the task for which it was assembled. Further, you can't tell someone you've never met or seen how their bike should or should not be set up. If they're happy with it (no matter how mad they or it may look or be) that's all that matters.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • rockmonkeysc
    If the bike suits his very specific requirements which standard bikes don't suit and he's enjoying riding then good on him.
    Herdwick is an absolute c###
  • Herdwick
    cooldad wrote:

Well, I am sure you can handle a knob or two,

Never questioned if it suits his requirements, it looks like it's well within

There is a big chance a bike with the same fit exists somewhere,
    This bike obviously wasn't fit for purpose, took a lot of effort to become one and that's what makes me wonder
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

Good luck finding a stock bike that remotely resembles it.

If your comprehension skills were higher than those of a slightly retarded gibbon, you'd understand that point.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Herdwick
    cooldad wrote:
    Good luck finding a stock bike that remotely resembles it.

Agree, no wonder why...

Many brands offer custom sizing/geo

You relegate sligtly retarded gibbons, some may be well offended
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • The Rookie
    It's a road touring bike with full suspension, if Herdwick can come up with one then maybe I'll downgrade him from total bell end.....he seems to think that manufacturers make every kind of bike, those of us that build our own do it for many reasons and one of those is to get it 'just so' for us.

I doubt Herdwick has the ability to even build a bike, let alone one so uniquely aligned to someone's requirements.

This has got nothing to do with size or geo, plus he had it as an MTB, so already had the frame.

You ever done any audax? Even just a 200Km, think about LEL or PBP.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Herdwick
    The Rookie wrote:
    It's a road touring bike with full suspension, if Herdwick can come up with one then maybe I'll downgrade him from total bell end.....he seems to think that manufacturers make every kind of bike, those of us that build our own do it for many reasons and one of those is to get it 'just so' for us.

I doubt Herdwick has the ability to even build a bike, let alone one so uniquely aligned to someone's requirements.

This has got nothing to do with size or geo, plus he had it as an MTB, so already had the frame.

You ever done any audax? Even just a 200Km, think about LEL or PBP.

You really don't see the amount of misplaced components on that frame...
    Get your eyes checked,
    Maybe I can not build a bike on my own but would let to someone with more knowledge to do it if in doubt

I don't do long distances, the longest was 100km mtb around where I live, steep and long uphills with moderate downhilling took us a whole day.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    There's not always a production bike to suit every requirement.
    Martyn Ashton can't nip down to his local shop for his bike, Josh Bender had specially made bikes. The first slopestyle bikes were heavily modified xc full suspension bikes, the first mountain bikes were modified cruisers, the first CX bikes were modified road bikes.
  • Herdwick
    Lots of makers of custom bikes outhere, no doubt one will be happy to design or modify an existing model of their range, not cheap but doable
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • The Rookie
    And you would end up with what he built himself for two or three times as much money, you just dug yourself into a huge hole, suggest you stay there.
  • cooldad
    Long drop?

GetAttributeImage.aspx?type=attributeimg&id=2699&full=1
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Herdwick
    The Rookie wrote:
    And you would end up with what he built himself for two or three times as much money, you just dug yourself into a huge hole, suggest you stay there.

If you insist a little more you will change bike standards big time!!!

Really?!

Merida mission carbon frames wheren't cheap when this bike was build.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • cooldad
    I don't think he's especially short of money, just built his perfect bike.

Which isn't mine or yours, but that is unimportant.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    oh its like having Cody back!
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • JodyP