Shimano 105 5700/5800 Compatibilty

rs6mra1
rs6mra1 Posts: 105
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Hi Guys,

I have a 105 5700 set up and would like to know if the 5700 STI levers are compatible with 5800 brake calipers?
Do they have the same same pull ratio?

Thanks.

Comments

• they will be fine for the brakes. I have this combination, excellent brakes, just change the pads for swiss stop blue or koolstop salmon or you will destroy your rims.
  • rs6mra1
    rs6mra1 Posts: 105
    Fab! Thanks for confirming. I already have swissstop pads on it.
    I have done 4.5k km and was wondering if I ought to change the brake cable??
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    IME stainless steel brake cables last indefinitely; they are pretty chunky things. Some of mine are 10 years old and still functioning perfectly with the occasional clean and lube. Gear cables seem to need more attention and periodic replacement.

In fact the only time I've ever had to replace a brake cable was when a single strand broke at the clamp bolt on the rear caliper. It started to unwind and make the rear brake drag. So I snipped it off before the short length of outer at the seat clamp. Which stopped the brake dragging but it continued to unwind and started to stab me in the thigh. At which point I gave in and treated it to a new cable!
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    they will be fine for the brakes. I have this combination, excellent brakes, just change the pads for swiss stop blue or koolstop salmon or you will destroy your rims.

Why will he destroy his rims?
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    ravey1981 wrote:
    they will be fine for the brakes. I have this combination, excellent brakes, just change the pads for swiss stop blue or koolstop salmon or you will destroy your rims.

Stock brake pads are, for no reason that I can fathom, very abrasive. Swiss Stop and Kool Stop aren't at all abrasive, although you will get an amount of wear from road grime that's unavoidably on the rims when you apply the brakes. The stock pads on my previous bike ended up with tiny pieces of aluminium swarf embedded in them after a couple of weeks, but after the swap to Kool Stop I had no further problems for the several years until I bought my current bike. The Roubaix got Kool Stop pads as soon as I got it!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    ravey1981 wrote:

Some people regard the stock Shimano blocks as too hard and abrasive, and favour their replacement with something softer like the above. The blocks wear out quicker but the rims last longer apparently, and brake blocks are cheaper than rims.

It's all relative though, and depends on your weight, the amount of braking you do, and whether you ride a lot in wet and filthy conditions.
    I still have the original stock Shimano blocks and wheels on both bikes. One bike is 8 years old and neither blocks nor rims need replacing yet. I ride all year round, but with full mudguards in the wet. More crucially I only weigh 64kg, and all my rides are on quiet rural routes which involve only trivial descents and very little braking.

If I commuted daily with lots of stopping in the wet, or lived somewhere with proper hills, I might be fitting softer brake blocks or considering disc brakes...
  • 5800 and 5700 do in fact have a different pull ratio.
    Whether or not you like the feel of the mixed set is up to you.