Mosquito's and the Pope

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,347
edited February 2016 in The cake stop
In the light of the Zika virus, how does the catholic church square the conundrum of birth control and preventing the birth of babies with deformities?
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    By praying for the babies, of course.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    They're too busy money laundering , abusing children and then protecting the clergy who are guilty to notice.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Slowmart wrote:
    They're too busy money laundering , abusing children and then protecting the clergy who are guilty to notice.
    A man of god, a fraudster, a paedophile and a transvestite walk into a bar and the barman says 'Good evening your holiness'
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    One of God's creatures doing God's work?
    Nice chap, God.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I think everyone on here knows my position on religion by now. :wink:

To paraphrase Wolfgang Pauli

Es gibt keinen Gott und Bally ist sein Prophet.

BTW I am in no way shape or form comparing myself to Paul Dirac. Genius as he was.
  • finchy
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I think everyone on here knows my position on religion by now. :wink:

BTW I am in no way shape or form comparing myself to Paul Dirac. Genius as he was.

No, I don't know your position on religion. Please elaborate. Er, and how does Paul Dirac come into this?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Finchy, the original quote by Pauli was

Es gibt keinen Gott und Dirac ist sein Prophet.
  • finchy
    Of course, I've heard that one before. Silly me.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,706
    Mosquito's what?

Its lunch?
  • pinno
    Mosquito's what?

Its lunch?

Shouldn't that be 'Mosquito's and what?' :wink:
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I believe the church's position is generally to promote abstinence. Yup. Good call. So much better than education and free healthcare.

In an unrelated story of which I only remember a few details . . .
    A group of missionaries/VSO types were given the job of explaining contraception to some very uneducated people, and the authorities in that country were promoting the whole idea with a song (which, if anyone knows any more details about this, I'd love to see an English translation of). The volunteers did such a bad job of explaining and were so shy about answering questions that the target audience ended up with the impression that all that was necessary was to sing the song. (Whether before, during or after I don't know)
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,706
    Pinno wrote:
    Mosquito's what?

Its lunch?

Shouldn't that be 'Mosquito's and what?' :wink:

No, it shouldn't.

No need for a possessive apostrophe.
  • I'm sure God has a reason for mosquitos. In the 6000 years since he created the whole Universe and everything in it (in a mere 6 days), mosquitos have killed millions of humans, so they must be there for a reason.
  • pblakeney
    I'm sure God has a reason for mosquitos. In the 6000 years since he created the whole Universe and everything in it (in a mere 6 days), mosquitos have killed millions of humans, so they must be there for a reason.
    Ah, but how many millions of mosquitoes have humans killed?
    Surely we are the plague?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Pinno wrote:
    In the light of the Zika virus, how does the catholic church square the conundrum of birth control and preventing the birth of babies with deformities?

I think the Church does allow the use of condoms for health reasons e.g. AIDS prevention. It is a pretty recent development though, maybe 2010, and quite scandalous that it didn't happen sooner.
  • Alex99
    I'm sure God has a reason for mosquitos. In the 6000 years since he created the whole Universe and everything in it (in a mere 6 days), mosquitos have killed millions of humans, so they must be there for a reason.

On the 7th day, he did chillax, for he was pooped.
  • Alex99
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Ah, but how many millions of mosquitoes have humans killed?
    Surely we are the plague?

By some definitions, I'm sure humans could be classed as a plague. But, it's all pretty arbitrary. Guess you could add, the only time we intentionally harm mosquitoes is in self defence. But they also only bite humans for self preservation. It is the virus doing the harm. However, the same rules of nature that have led to that virus, have also led to us. So go figure!

It's just stuff that is happening, and there is no evidence that there is a reason for any of it beyond selfish genes doing what they do.
  • pblakeney
    Alex99 wrote:
    Guess you could add, the only time we intentionally harm mosquitoes is in self defence.
    mosquito-killer-uv-insect-electric-zapper-bug-fly-wasp-trap-pest-control.jpg
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Alex99 wrote:
    By some definitions, I'm sure humans could be classed as a plague.
    Whoa there tiger! I'm sure the Lord wouldn't want you to be dissing his chosen ones like that.
  • Alex99
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:
    Guess you could add, the only time we intentionally harm mosquitoes is in self defence.
    mosquito-killer-uv-insect-electric-zapper-bug-fly-wasp-trap-pest-control.jpg

Technically, they kill themselves
  • Alex99
    Alex99 wrote:
    By some definitions, I'm sure humans could be classed as a plague.
    Whoa there tiger! I'm sure the Lord wouldn't want you to be dissing his chosen ones like that.

Ah, thanks for putting me back on track :D I was forgetting the "made in own image" stuff :oops:
  • pinno
    An evolved parasite doesn't kill it''s host. Pity about humans.
  • Alex99
    Pinno wrote:

"Pity about humans." Not sure I follow... humans seem to be doing OK in most ways. Would be good if we could all 'calm down a bit'
  • pinno
    Alex99 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

"Pity about humans." Not sure I follow... humans seem to be doing OK in most ways. Would be good if we could all 'calm down a bit'

The current consumption of resources is unsustainable and the current consumption of fossil fuels spells danger. If you would like an argument about the environment, from plastics to pollution - roll it on.
  • So you're equating a parasite on a living host to humans on earth as I our host. Interesting analogy.

If you follow it through you could say natural processes will apply to us by either global warming wipes us out or carbon fuel runs out before we get wiped out forcing us to leech off the planet in a less destructive way. I guess it's kind of like a parasite in our body either gets killed off, gets managed by the body or kills us. We'll end up as one of those unless we consciously decide to change our outlook/practises to become less draining on the planet.

Still, I think it's a bit melodramatic putting it quite like that.
  • Alex99
    Pinno wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

The current consumption of resources is unsustainable and the current consumption of fossil fuels spells danger. If you would like an argument about the environment, from plastics to pollution - roll it on.

Not sure there is debate on whether human activity is damaging the environment.
  • pblakeney
    So you're equating a parasite on a living host to humans on earth as I our host. Interesting analogy.

If you follow it through you could say natural processes will apply to us by either global warming wipes us out or carbon fuel runs out before we get wiped out forcing us to leech off the planet in a less destructive way. I guess it's kind of like a parasite in our body either gets killed off, gets managed by the body or kills us. We'll end up as one of those unless we consciously decide to change our outlook/practises to become less draining on the planet.

Melodramatic maybe, but it is a simple analogy that gets the point across.
    The worst creature on this planet is humans. Humans don't like being told that, obviously.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Alex99
    So you're equating a parasite on a living host to humans on earth as I our host. Interesting analogy.

I'm sure evolved strategies of parasites is well studied, not particularly by me.

An issue is, that in the context of humans, and earth, definitions are a bit subjective. For a relationship to be 'parasitic', the host needs to derive no advantage, otherwise it is symbiotic. How do you define 'advantage' to the earth, which is not alive in itself? I don't know! The earth doesn't 'care'.

Another difference withthe humans/earth analogy, is that we really don't want to 'kill' our 'host' as we can't easily hop to another one. Different strategy required. I would hazard a guess that some parasites favour rapid re-production or growth over maintaining the host.
  • pblakeney
    Alex99 wrote:
    Another difference withthe humans/earth analogy, is that we really don't want to 'kill' our 'host' as we can't easily hop to another one. Different strategy required. I would hazard a guess that some parasites favour rapid re-production or growth over maintaining the host.
    We don't want to kill our "host", but we are.
    Rapid reproduction is a major part of the problem.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    Alex99 wrote:

If...planet.

I'm sure evolved strategies of parasites is well studied, not particularly by me.

An...For a relationship to be 'parasitic', the host needs to derive no advantage, otherwise it is symbiotic.

The host, i'e the planet doesn't derive any advantage from humans, so by your theory, we are parasitic.

The earth doesn't 'care'.

Quite correct except that it suggests that the host or the parasite is conscious of the relationship, which is very difficult to determine. If you followed that philosophy through to completion, does it really matter that we are destroying the environment?

Another difference with the humans/earth analogy, is that we really don't want to 'kill' our 'host' as we can't easily hop to another one.

We don't seem to have a tangible momentum of a collective consciousness.