CAAD12 Ultegra Disc - Newbie

azzasintown
azzasintown Posts: 3
edited February 2016 in Road beginners
Have bought this bike as my first bike after doing research. It would seem the world is split between discs and caliper brakes and the obvious reasons why the UCI are being cautious, I can see both sides of the coin. However my question is.....why are the manufacturers bringing out disc versions of the frame if the UCI have not yet given the go ahead for discs in racing?, surely if you were spending more than £1,500 you are going to race??, even if the manufacturers make more money why would you buy a frame with a disc if you intended on racing?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I know many people who have spent well over double that who don't race or even plan on racing.

You ride the bike you want/can afford for fun. Whether that fun is racing or just riding around, why not?
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    surely if you were spending more than £1,500 you are going to race??,

Haven't you answered your own question here : you bought it after doing research, so clearly aren't worried about spending North of £1500 knowing that you can't race it ?
  • coriordan wrote:
    I know many people who have spent well over double that who don't race or even plan on racing.

You ride the bike you want/can afford for fun. Whether that fun is racing or just riding around, why not?

Fair answer :)
  • deejaysee
    deejaysee Posts: 149
    Coming from a long standing MTB background where discs have been around for years, i've found this whole issue completely bewildering with discs and road bikes.

About the only sport i can think of where the consumer has access to a better technology to the pro's
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    deejaysee wrote:
    Coming from a long standing MTB background where discs have been around for years, i've found this whole issue completely bewildering with discs and road bikes.

Riding in a fast group on the road, even on fairly flat roads you can be doing 25+ mph with wheels just a few inches apart and it can get pretty hairy at times. Do that in the wet where people have vastly different braking capabilities and there will be a lot of incidents.

Imagine a load of cars tailgating on the motorway at 70mph in the wet, some with disk brakes, some with drum brakes, then there's a sudden need for an emergency stop. :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry::cry::cry:

I can understand why UCI are cautious.
  • deejaysee
    deejaysee Posts: 149
    That argument is the other aspect i also find bewildering.
    Just because you have discs, it doesn't mean you stop on a six pence....the braking power isn't that much better that it causes havoc.
    About 99% more likely the cause of a crash will be the touching of wheels, the wind, riding not paying attention etc

Arrhhhh F it, i dont care. I dont know why i'm typing this.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    deejaysee wrote:
    That argument is the other aspect i also find bewildering.
    Just because you have discs, it doesn't mean you stop on a six pence....the braking power isn't that much better that it causes havoc.
    About 99% more likely the cause of a crash will be the touching of wheels, the wind, riding not paying attention etc

Arrhhhh F it, i dont care. I dont know why i'm typing this.

IMO decent caliper brakes are pretty damm powerful these days.

Discs might have an advantage in the wet - But I don't race - and if cycling in the wet you adjust your riding style accordingly.

I thought UCI had approved discs for the pro peleton ?
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    I did read, somewhere, that the disc versions of the CAAD12 have longer wheelbases, and therefore handle completely differently to the rim braked versions. Anyone else come across similar information ?
  • I am on the far end of the Disc debate(my road bike are Disc only, I did had a hybrid with caliper though).
    I do admit the difference is noticeable, even in the dry, not exactly down to the technical advantage...blah blah blah
    But merely Disc allow more confident and control to brake only and heavily at the very last second.(yes, I do wear a helmet if that is interesting to take it to that debate too.) Not exactly everyone races, I don't race but I do get my thrills with long twisty descents that can home my handling skills and I know while I can do the same should I have calipers but I feel I can push that little bit extra with disc
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Have bought this bike as my first bike after doing research. It would seem the world is split between discs and caliper brakes and the obvious reasons why the UCI are being cautious, I can see both sides of the coin. However my question is.....why are the manufacturers bringing out disc versions of the frame if the UCI have not yet given the go ahead for discs in racing?, surely if you were spending more than £1,500 you are going to race??, even if the manufacturers make more money why would you buy a frame with a disc if you intended on racing?
    Because there is more to cycling than racing. The UCI have gave the go-ahead for teams to use discs as they wish in an extended test period.
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.