Anyone want to trade a Garmin 520 for Garmin 810.......

n4th4n007
n4th4n007 Posts: 364
edited January 2016 in Road general
Apologies if this is in the wrong place......

I have a very new (1 month old) Garmin 520 and a nice red gel case. The Strava segments are ace etc etc....... plus I have loaded maps etc etc. But I didn't realize you can't follow live Strava segments whilst following a course. I follow courses pretty much every ride so a little restrictive !!

Just wondered if anyone fancy a trade with an 810 ?

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    You would do better to advertise this in the classifieds section.
    I would strongly suggest keeping the 520 though - from my experience a far more reliable device.
  • PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    Are you sure that the 810 will do what you want ? I know the 1000 behaves in a similar way to the 520
  • "But I didn't realize you can't follow live Strava segments whilst following a course"

You, me and 99% of people that have purchased an 520/810/1000

I find it unbelievable that it does not function this way, looking at the slick Garmin promo video, web reviews of strava integration with Garmin, route finding/following abilities of the 1000 etc led me to conclude that this was a given, it is not and I have had this confirmed by Strava and Garmin

A shame really as I purchased the 1000 to follow routes and assumed strava segments would pop up, it works great when routes are turned off

A work around is to have a route showing with out it giving you turn by turn directions - set it to a bright colour to make it easier to see, pre loaded strava segments will then pop up.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Have to say, I think live segments is a daft and dangerous idea.
  • PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    Surely it depends on the segment. A hill climb is not daft or dangerous, however a segment in town with roundabouts and traffic lights probably is.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    PK1 wrote:
    Surely it depends on the segment. A hill climb is not daft or dangerous, however a segment in town with roundabouts and traffic lights probably is.

And such a segment should be flagged as hazardous anyway.

I don't think it's any more dangerous than the regular segments, e.g., I know where the segments I like to try and set PBs on are already.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    PK1 wrote:

And such a segment should be flagged as hazardous anyway.

I don't think it's any more dangerous than the regular segments, e.g., I know where the segments I like to try and set PBs on are already.

Except that you see that you are one second off a PB and you push harder than you would without the Live segment and maybe you keep looking at the GPS too frequently and maybe think that you'll overtake that car that is in the way - and you wouldn't have if you didn't know you were that close to a PB.

I'd say that Live Segments inevitably reduce risk aversion - but then so do other things. Whether that makes them dangerous depends on the rider - and that's a good argument against them.
    Faster than a tent.......