Fizik bar tape re-wrap...

sanspoof
sanspoof Posts: 111
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Hello all,

I installed some new handlebars last week and applied some new fizik performance bar tape...

Now, the left hand side looks great, the right hand side looks a bit crap....it has been on now for about a week and it is starting to bug me..

Can anyone advised from experience whether it would be ok to unwind the tape and start again??? Im worried about the adhesive on the underside of the tape....

thanks in advance.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    sanspoof wrote:
    Hello all,

I installed some new handlebars last week and applied some new fizik performance bar tape...

Now, the left hand side looks great, the right hand side looks a bit crap....it has been on now for about a week and it is starting to bug me..

Can anyone advised from experience whether it would be ok to unwind the tape and start again??? Im worried about the adhesive on the underside of the tape....

thanks in advance.

It should be fine. Most modern bar tapes have a "tacky strip" rather than adhesive that allows you to remove and re-wrap if you're not happy with it currently.

Wrapping bars is a bit of a dark art that takes patience and practice. Don't worry if you get wrong - just persevere and you'll get the hang of it in time
  • sanspoof
    arlowood wrote:
    sanspoof wrote:
    Hello all,

thanks in advance.

It should be fine. Most modern bar tapes have a "tacky strip" rather than adhesive that allows you to remove and re-wrap if you're not happy with it currently.

Wrapping bars is a bit of a dark art that takes patience and practice. Don't worry if you get wrong - just persevere and you'll get the hang of it in time

Excellent, thanks for replying. Your description of it being a "tacky strip" is bang on......'adhesive', what was I thinking? :-)

You've given me the confidence to pull it off and do it again, thank you very much!!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I haven't had too much problem when the adhesive comes off completely with bartape. If you get the tension right, wrap well and evenly then there isn't much the adhesive does anyway apart from holding the last bit in place whilst you scrabble to get the insulation tape on.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I've fitted Fizik bar tape, then removed it weeks later to adjust my shifters and re-taped without issue. It's one of the few bar tapes which are fine doing this.
  • sanspoof
    Hello,

Thanks for all your replies. I removed and re-wrapped last night and it works absolutely fine...

I think like most aspects of bike maintenance and repair, it seems like the most daunting task in the world until you actually do it yourself...

Thanks.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Park tools have a great video on bar tape wrapping as well - nifty little trick about finishing off the ends.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    DKay wrote:
    I've fitted Fizik bar tape, then removed it weeks later to adjust my shifters and re-taped without issue. It's one of the few bar tapes which are fine doing this.

That's true. When I've taken off the cheapo foam / cork bar tape it's invariably taken on a very strange shape and any attempt at re-wrapping looks hideous. If I try to stretch it to get it to go on smoothly I also discover it's lost it's elasticity and starts tearing / snapping completely. I now treat it as a single use, disposable item. I only ever use the black stuff, so once it's on I get a few years out of it anyway.