Rear hub strip down - tools ??

kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited January 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
OK lads,

What tools do I need to trip the rear hub down please ??

Anthem X2 2013 stock wheel.

IMAG1970.jpg

IMAG1971.jpg

Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cone spanners plus the right size Allen key if you want to remove the freehub (11 or 12mm or 11/16" are most common).

You'll also need a T25 Torx to remove the disc and a chain whip and cassette lockring tool to remove the cassette to make what is in the photo into just a wheel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Chain whip, cassette tool, and probably some cone spanners, assuming it's a cup and cone hub, which it kind of looks like.
    Torx bit if the rotor needs removing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Note to self. Never leave posts open whilst doing real work.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    And grease.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    also make sure you have two containers to separate each sides ball bearings in to as you will need to put them back in the side they came out of.

I made a silly mistake to just put them all in to one and mixed them up when I was cleaning them up.
  • The Rookie
    No reason to do that IMO.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Side to side are the same - front and back are different sizes. Generally.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    The Rookie wrote:
    No reason to do that IMO.

You mean stripping down the hub??

The rear wheel was making funny noise during last few rides when going at speed and not pedaling, so was thinking of giving the rear hub a good cloning and greasing etc.
  • The Rookie
    No need to reserve left and right hand ball bearings, just make sure the right number go back in the right place. My comment was right under the post stating you should.