New Carbon Clinchers

xuestor
xuestor Posts: 4
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi!

Looking for a set of carbon clinchers. Been looking at the Zipp 303/404 and the Reynolds Assault/Strike SLG.
Not sure wich to get though. How is crosswinds stability with the zipps/reynolds? Im fairly light at 68kg and 175cm tall (or short maybe).

Will the ~60mm clinchers be too deep for me?
Is the pricedifference between the Reynolds/Zipps worth it?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Hello there and welcome to the forum. You can get lots of good advice on here as well as no end of sarcasm. Suggest you have a look at the search tool as wheels is one of the more popular topics and therefore crops up a lot.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Do you really need 60mm deep rims? 45mm or even 38mm will suffice for appearance sakes and not offer as much of a target for cross winds. I have 50mm clinchers which suffer in crosswinds quite a bit, but my tubs are 45mm rear and 38mm front giving a much better feeling of stability in crosswinds.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Well, my current wheelset is 30mm, and thought 40-45mm would be a too small increase in depth. Although this will be my first deepsection wheelset, so I cant really say how big the difference will be.

For the worst windy days I will change front wheel back to my old 30mm, so maybe crosswinds-concern is nothing to worry about?
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Hello there and welcome to the forum. You can get lots of good advice on here as well as no end of sarcasm. Suggest you have a look at the search tool as wheels is one of the more popular topics and therefore crops up a lot.

Thanks!

Ive been reading quite a bit around here about mainly the assaults. Good info! but looking mainly for someone who has ridden both the reynolds and the Zipps, and can give their 2 cents about crosswinds stability comparison.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I ride enve 4.5's and have no issues at all in crosswinds. I'd like to say that this is the result of Enve's brilliant design and innovation but I suspect that the modern breed of wider rims and blunter shapes is making a huge difference compared to the older aero designs.

Reynolds offer a test ride capability which is handy. In my experience a modern 45-55mm deep wheel is pretty stable.
  • I'm 171cm and 65kg and I’ve run 303 FC's (tubs) for a few years now. If you do get hit by a sudden gust e.g. a break in a hedge, they reassuringly correct themselves – almost like a shopping trolley wheel. I’ve never felt worried about side winds or passing lorries. Saying that, if the wind’s to be really strong all day then the deep sections stay at home and the shallows come out.