New bike "placebo" effect

Jonesinamilion
Jonesinamilion Posts: 230
edited January 2016 in MTB general
Does such a thing exist?

I've gone from a med / low end bike (specislized hardrock sport disk 2013) to my beloved btwin rafal 740 which to me, seems a million miles apart... Looking at some of the hardwear displayed on here I appreciate that it's hardly high end but it's chalk & cheese to me.

Anyway, I've barely ridden since last summer so general fitness has declined. Today I did a 20 mile route that I do quite regularly and I'm sure I was 3-4 mph faster on the levels / slight declines and maybe 1-2mph average quicker over the entire route.

I do use a speedo but...

Could readings be out mounting the speedo from one bike to another (both 26" wheels).
Was I trying a bit harder on my shiny new ride without knowing it?
Could over 2kg weight saving and all round better components make such a difference?
Is it all in my head? :D

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A 2kg weight saving will make a big difference, especially any weight off the wheels.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A 2kg weight saving is obviously going to make you faster uphill, it also makes the bike more responsive and so faster on anything but smooth constant speed use. A big saving on wheels and tyres means reduced rotational inertia as well as translational inertia to the bike will accelerate, brake and turn better.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Actual wheel circumference may be smaller too which may account for some of the difference if you didn't change your speedo.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I don't wear speedo's when I'm riding......the look is all wrong for me.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    The Rookie wrote:
    I don't wear speedo's when I'm riding......the look is all wrong for me.

I don't believe you, I reckon you go with a rubber duck ring aswell!