straight pull or j bend spokes

djvagabon
djvagabon Posts: 262
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to build a new set of wheels using enve rims and dt swiss 240 s hubs. I don't know whether to use straight pull or j bend spokes. Can someone help me out with this as I have no idea which to use.

Comments

• look at a picture of the hub. If it looks like it takes J spokes, those are the ones you need.
    If you can't work that bit out you should probably not try building wheels, either that or you spend a long time on the forum and end up with wheels looking like a storks nest.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I was about to say the pre-requiste for building wheels is being able to tell a J-bend for a straight pull spokes. Google images and you will find out.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • djvagabon
    I haven't got the hubs yet. I know the difference between a straight pull and a j bend hub but I would like to know which is best to go for. I have done a lot of research but I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on which is better to use on a good set of carbon rims.
  • when you order the hubs and rims get the supplier to get the whole kit together for you. Hell, at this rate you find it better to just get them to build them too and save the hassle.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    j bend spokes - google j bend spokes vs straight pull spokes.
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    I thought you could get DT 240's in straight pull or j bend !
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    banditvic wrote:

That's right. It seems that the first couple of replies were from folk who, in their haste to be condescending to the OP, failed to adequately comprehend exactly what it was that he was asking. Below is a link to considered answer to his question, which is along the lines of what one might reasonably expect from a professional wheel builder....

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/03/video/ask-a-mechanic-straight-pull-vs-j-bend-spokes_364520
  • Straight pull length is difficult to calculate, although for DT hubs you can use the DT Swiss calculator and just plot the hub type, it will sort it for you.
    Straight pull spokes are more available than they were 3-4 years ago, but very few suppliers still. Depending on the hub design, straight pull can be a PITA to build by hand, but DT hubs are OK in that respect, compared to a Mavic Aksium/Ksyrium hub.
    I am assuming you have built wheels before, as I wouldn't start with 2 grand worth of components on my first build
    left the forum March 2023
  • MikeBrew wrote:
    banditvic wrote:

That's right. It seems that the first couple of replies were from folk who, in their haste to be condescending to the OP, failed to adequately comprehend exactly what it was that he was asking. Below is a link to considered answer to his question, which is along the lines of what one might reasonably expect from a professional wheel builder....

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/03/video/ask-a-mechanic-straight-pull-vs-j-bend-spokes_364520

I'll put my hand up to that one!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I would echo building with straight pulls is awkward. You can't easily calculate the spoke lengths except for DT swiss hubs. I build with a set of Miche and carbon ti hubs for myself. Lots of time working out by trial and error the spoke lengths needed. I have a stock of spokes wot work with though the OP won't.

For a home build use J-bend if you built it right then you won't have a problem.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • djvagabon
    Yes I have built wheels before but never using a carbon rim. If the straight pull option is more complicated to build up I'll pay a pro to do it. Apart from the difficulties with building which would you guys go for?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Leaving aside whether or not one is better than the other in terms of how they perform (I suspect this varies depending on the particular hub and spokes chosen so is quite variable), my appraisal would always be around 'how easy is it to deal with a spoke breaking'? If you dont have spare wheels to easily swap do, you may want it done as an urgent job, you may even need it done while you wait if part way through some kind of tour or expedition. You want to maximise the chances of being able to walk into a bike shop and them having the spoke in stock and being able to easily fix it. J-Bend does it for me.
  • djvagabon
    That's a good point. I am going to use sapim cx ray spokes.
    I think I'll stick with J bend spokes after the advice I've received here.
    Thanks for all your help.
  • Nick Payne
    Nick Payne Posts: 288
    Just came across this thread, and thought I would add that you can use the DT Swiss online spoke calculator to calculate straight pull spoke lengths for any hub provided you have the necessary hub dimensions from the hub manufacturer. For example, I've built straight pull wheels with Hope hubs, and calculated the spoke lengths with the DT Swiss calculator by using the dimensions that Hope provide at http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/2016-PRO-4-SP24-HUBS-SPOKE-OFFSET-AND-PCD.pdf.