Wheel advice?

brl_uk
brl_uk Posts: 4
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
My bike came with Fulcrum Racing 5's which I am looking to upgrade. I've been searching forums and reading reviews for the last 2 weeks and have whittled down to a few choices.

I am about 70kg and primarily ride hilly terrain, however have also entered a couple of triathlons so was looking for something which could cater for both

Max budget is about £500, does anyone have any recommendations on the below, or any other options/deals around?

Shimano RS81 - C35 £379

Farsport 38mm full carbon clincher with D350 hub. £440 (Chinese Carbon)

Fulcrum Racing 3 - £288

Mavic Cosmic or Kyserium. £400ish

Planet X CT45 £399

Im swaying towards the Farsports as under 1.5kg and 38mm to provide some aero advantage.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Is it ok to point out that your F5s are already more than capable of doing the job?
  • Imposter wrote:
    Is it ok to point out that your F5s are already more than capable of doing the job?

Its probably ok, he's entered triathlons.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • brl_uk
    brl_uk Posts: 4
    Yes, I did mean to make a note on the original post along those lines. Are any a significant upgrade on what I have?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Big mistake asking for a 'significant' upgrade.
    Setting yourself up for a fall with both performance, and comments from the nay sayers on here :wink:
    Racing 7's would no doubt do the job too, so maybe release some equity from your bike 8)

Either be realistic about what difference a racing 3 will be to a 5, or spend more money and get some Racing Zeros (to use Fulcrum as an example).
    Upgrades need to be at least 2 steps rather than 1 IMO/IME.

Apart from using the opportunity to change something else. Like going tubeless, or rim width/depth etc. I would make the main criteria aesthetics and not quantify performance improvements too much.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would think it would be worth more getting wheels that are designed for one or the other ie more aero rims for the triathlons which would carry more weight or get some lighter shallow rims which would be not so good at triathlon. Since the wheels you have are not that weighty in the first place for riding up the hills it might make more sense getting some 50mm rims. Something like Planet X rims would be fine for the price. If you are looking for aero rims that are significantly lighter than the Fulcrum 5s then you are going to be hard pushedgetting them new on your budget quoted
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    yes, I think that ^^ is good advice.