New Bike: Advise regarding sizing components - Stem & Handlebar width

boxrick
boxrick Posts: 38
edited January 2016 in Workshop
I purchased a bike from Rosebikes.com after finally taking around a month to get it ordered and posted it has arrived, I went for the same sort of frame size as on my last bike and going on previous discussions it seems that Rose bikes tend to run a bit small. On that basis I ordered 63" size which matched the 61" size of my old Specialized Secteur.

Unfortunately when cycling it feels like I am stretching a bit to reach the handlebars, I have adjusted the bars and seat slightly but I still feel a bit odd.

Simply put I would like to reduce the width of the handlebars and the stem size slightly and would appreciate some advice or thoughts on this. My last bike had a 42 or 44cm width handlebar, I cannot quite tell how to measure these. ( From the inside or outside? )

I have placed a tape measure next to these items, it looks like i have a 10cm stem and a 46cm width handlebar. Also if I am replacing these bits does anyone have some recommendations of what with?

rose4.jpg
rose1.jpg
rose2.jpg
rose3.jpg

Comments

• lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    Ideal bar width - get someone to measure across your back between the two bony protusions on your shoulders - this will give ideal bar width. That stem looks to be a 120 mm stem. It is essential to get your seat positioned correctly before changing stem length - it would be best to get a proper bike fit ad it is not only the height of seat but also the layback. Once that is set up right then you can think about stem length. Ideally you should have had the bike fit before buying the bike and this is the downside of buying online too
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Usually handlebars and stems are measured centre to centre, so looking at your pix they appear to be 42cm and 12cm.
  • Stem is upside down, also if posting a picture of your pride and joy, the bike is facing the wrong way and the chain should be on the big chainring.
  • boxrick
    Stem is upside down, also if posting a picture of your pride and joy, the bike is facing the wrong way and the chain should be on the big chainring.

Interesting about the stem that is how it was posted, will that make much difference to the positioning of length?
  • boxrick
    I just flipped the stem over, seems much lower down and elongated now. What gave you the impression it was the wrong way round?

It seems to match the stock picture much closer now: http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pr ... aid:855966

rose5.jpg
    rose6.jpg
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    The Secteur is a very "relaxed" geometry bike as opposed to a more traditional aggressive geometry bike. A relaxed geometry bike has greater stack reach ratio - more aggressive tend to be long and low.
    If you still have your Secteur - replicate your saddle height + saddle setback from it (especially if it fitted). Then have a look at reach to the front end of the bike - saddle tip to centre of bar measurement for both bikes should be the same (for similar bars). If the drop is too much you may need to flip the stem.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I would buy a 10cm stem with a moderate angle off ebay or the small ads here and see how it feels. Or if you are in a club someone should have one knocking around you can borrow.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Look on line for stem calculator websites. This will give you a good idea for the effect of a different stem length and angle compared to what you have now.

The stem can be either way up, whichever suits you best. The upright position is higher with less reach.

Also check KOPS to help with saddle fore / aft position, but remember the saddle position is to get your legs in the right position not to adjust reach.