Salsa Flip Lock Seatpost clamp sizeing

ascurrell
ascurrell Posts: 1,739
edited January 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to sell a Salsa Flip Lock seatpost clamp, my problem is I'm not sure what the size is. There are no markings.
I have a digital verier gauge but I'm not sure at what position to measure it at. ie is it when it is fully tightened etc
Any help appreciated, Thanks Alan
DSCI7676.jpg[/URL]

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Think you measure you seatpost and buy one to suit.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Measure the seat tube on your frame. Seat post diameter is irrelevant.
  • ascurrell
    Hi JGTR, I'm not sure the seatpost measurement helps because some frames may have different gauge material so the outside diameter of seat tube is more relevant, thanks

Also RockmonkeySC , this clamp is an odd one I picked up [somewhere] and never used so I don't know what size tube it came off, I'm after the best way to measure what size it would suit. I am thinking it may be 31.8mm I took this pic, it was awkward but shows the internal diameter without any tension on the clamp, thanks guys input appreciated,

DSCI7835.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    31.8mm is a standard size, so I'd say that is a 31.8mm......

31.8mm used to be the most common size for allow frames (around a 27.2mm seat post) but for a number of reasons 34.9mm is now getting to be much more popular with a 30.9 or 31.6mm seat post.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    http://salsacycles.com/components/categ ... /flip-lock

If it's the current iteration, 31.6 seems more likely. Not knowing anything about them, I couldn't say whether they have or have not changed the design, but it seems pretty unlikely that they change the diameter by 0.2mm
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • The Rookie
    They don't list a 31.6 though, they do list a 32.0 however, if it is that and been used on a 31.8frame it will probably have crept enough to measure 31.8.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • codfather
    That's just me being blind and misreading the site. Disregard my last
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    31.8 would be right.
    I'm of the opinion that digital verniers should be banned, anyone who can't read a proper vernier shouldn't be using one.
  • ascurrell
    Thanks guys for all the input, I too was confused about the Salsa sizing on their site. I'm thinking my one may be an older version because most have size written on them.

Regarding the digital vernier comment, I can and was reading proper verniers and micrometers 40 years ago when I did my engineering apprenticeship. These were a present so I thought I better use them, also it would have been very difficult to show you the detail of the measurement and the clamp on a photo.
    Maybe I should go back to watching my black and white tv as well lol
  • The Rookie
    What's wrong with long wave radio?
  • ascurrell
    Nice one The Rookie, I save the LW radio for when the wife is watching Crossroads, a lot of wasted time though waiting for those valves to warm up, Cheers
  • codfather
    And why are you using quick release seatclamps? 10mm spanner not good enough for you?
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • ascurrell
    As I previously stated codfather I've never used it, it's an odd item I picked up somewhere ! 10mm prefer, BSW, BSF, UNC, BA etc etc
  • codfather
    I appreciate that; it was a joke.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    ascurrell wrote:
    40 years ago when I did my engineering apprenticeship.

Next time go to medical school and get better paid and nurses too. :)
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • ascurrell
    Sorry codfather, a bit slow on the uptake, appreciated your comments here though.
    Yes FishFish if only, I'd settle for just the nurses, I'm not greedy !