Scaremongering Forest Ranger?

booldawg
booldawg Posts: 290
edited January 2016 in MTB general
Whilst out yesterday we were stopped by a friendly Forest Enterprise Ranger. Even though we were on a Bridleway he felt it applicable to tell us a cautionary tale of new powers vested to combat cyclists on footpaths (as in forest footpaths)

According to him and section 59 of some government act that I didn't quite catch the name of, the police will be called and have the powers to confiscate and crush your bike! He also mentioned they will take, what he referred to, as your 'registration number' (I can only assume he means frame number).

As fair as I'm aware the only laws concerning using a bicycle on footpaths are trespass laws, which is a civil matter and the police are unlikely to be interested unless criminal damage has taken place.

TBH I think its BS unless anyone else has heard different?
1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That sounds like the act to curb nuisance use of off roads motorbikes which is illegal and no, doesn't apply to MTB's.

EDIT: Yes, just checked and it covers the anti-social use of MOTOR vehicles.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    OK, thanks for that Rookie. Seems strange he chose to relay that message to a bunch of MTBers! Maybe he had his wires crossed and thought it applied to us as well....
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • The Rookie
    Maybe indeed, or maybe he'd just been told it would apply to E-bikes (it would) and made 2+2=5!

The law has been around since 2007, but I believe there was a recent update to try and curb illegal off road bike and 4x4 use.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • loudog
    loudog Posts: 136
    I must say I agree with the ranger.....

E-bikes should be crushed
    It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    LouDog wrote:
    I must say I agree with the ranger.....

E-bikes should be crushed

And burned
    And buried
  • The Rookie
    Except the battery with its nasty chemicals, that should be recycled......err
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I take it you are referring to the New Forest? I get moaned at in parts of the Thetford forest but those moans are fair and usually co-incide with firing on the ranges.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll: