Winter tyres that handle ice/snow

letap73
letap73 Posts: 1,608
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
I am looking for a set of winter tyres which can handle icy/snowy roads - needs to be 700 - 32 max. I have seen that Schwalbe offer a number of solutions, but I have no idea how effective they are. They need to be able to handle a 2km descent at 8%.

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Ice and snow are two different challenges in my experience.

I have tried Schwalbe Marathon Winters which probably fit your needs for ice (get the version with 240 studs) - just be aware that they are stupidly heavy (960g each).

I gave up on them and went to Ice Spiker Pros on an MTB - the grip was better and they are lighter. They don't meet your requirements though.

Snow is a very different proposition. I was talking to a guy from Canada who rides 23c slick road tyres in snow. Ice Spiker Pros were hopeless in anything other than light snow.

All of that said, I'm not sure I'd trust other road users on an icy/snowy 8% slope

BTW - I'd try this thread in Commuting Chat where all-weather riding is the norm.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Co-efficient of friction between rubber and ice is zero, so you need a studded tyre. Wider is better, you can run lower pressure for a bigger 'footprint' - problem with riding on icy tarmac is other traffic, you might have grip but they don't!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • As meanredspider says ice and snow are two different properties. And also the risks from other traffic.

For ice you studded tyres will be needed, more is better.

For snow some of the studded tyres have tread, if it's more snow that's the issue a mud CX tyre will probably be better.

If it's a road I assume that ice will be a more pressing concern.
  • Commute, studs bascially.

Off road, or blocked roads, fat bike would be the most efficient. Not infallible. But fun.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Even with studs (and I have them) I wouldn't want to descend 2 Km at 8% if it's seriously icy (the difference between patches and a sheet of ice). If it's the latter, then change your route or abandon cycling until it's safer
    left the forum March 2023
  • meanredspider
    Agree, Ugo - I'd feel fine on Ice Spiker Pros (I've never yet got them to lose grip) but I'd be less sure on Marathons. It still comes back to the other road users though - watching footage from the US snow just reminds you that neither cars nor pedestrians are in control on slippery surfaces.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Certainly food for thought - I do have a mountain bike which I don't use so I could set it up with something like the spiker pros.
  • meanredspider
    I'd happily ride (and have on many occasions) on sheet ice on Ice Spiker Pros. My hilly Highland commute often had long stretches of refrozen meltwater on it and I'd test the grip each winter on this to confirm capability. They are superb. I think they weigh about 700g
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    For an urban commute ice should rarely be an issue - I have a pair of Marathon Winters and never seem to need to use them. Either the roads are salted in which case all is fine or the salt was washed off by rain which then froze in which case sheet ice applies and I just wait til about 10 before heading in to work.
    For snow the MTBs standard knobbly tyres are OK.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    For an urban commute ice should rarely be an issue - .... which then froze in which case sheet ice applies and I just wait til about 10 before heading in to work.

You should rephrase it as "For MY VERY FLEXIBLE commute ice is rarely an issue" :wink:
    left the forum March 2023