New Hardtail or Second-Hand Fully?

Cuki
Cuki Posts: 6
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi! Sorry if this thread already exists, but I've just joined the forum.

So, the situation is, I'll have money for 4 months, and still considering will I buy a brand new hardtail, or should I buy second-hand fully?

If I would buy the fully, I'm interested in full suspension one, enduro or downhill... I want to go uphill too, so downhill maybe doesn't suits me the best... If it would be a fully, should i buy cross-country, trail or enduro bike?

Thanks!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What sort of riding do you want to do and where?

Budget?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cuki
    Well, through forrest pats, to local mountain and similar... I want to go uphill easily, but still to enjoy on downhill...
    Budget is really not a problem, I know where to buy it, 500-600$... I know it's not much, but I know a man who re-sells bikes and that stuff.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Local mountain could be small hill or the Himalayas.
    $ could be US, HK, NZ or Martian.
    Downhill could mean down a gentle slope or gnarly serious DH.

A bit specific would help, but generally a 120 to 140mm trail bike will do most things well enough. FS or HT depends on what you want and can afford. If I only had one bike I think it would be FS.

A reasonable frame and a good fork are your priorities.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What type of $ I will assume US as you are the only ones to habitually not mention the nationality.

This is a UK based forum so we aren't as at home with the US market.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cuki
    I'm from Croatia, so I would say that's somewhere about 400-500£, not really sure. But as I said already, budget is not the problem.
    The local mountain is 1061 metres tall, and contains downhill track... So, I want to go to serious uphill, but and serious downhill, too... I think that I'll buy fully, but should it be cross-country, trail or enduro?
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Cuki wrote:
    I'm from Croatia, so I would say that's somewhere about 400-500£, not really sure. But as I said already, budget is not the problem.
    The local mountain is 1061 metres tall, and contains downhill track... So, I want to go to serious uphill, but and serious downhill, too... I think that I'll buy fully, but should it be cross-country, trail or enduro?

If you want to Go up and down seriously, get a trail bike (12-150mm travel)
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • Cuki
    Thanks for reply! If someone could be nice, what's the difference between cross-country and trail bike? All I know that the difference is in structure, what are other differences? My friend owns enduro bike, it's a Cult, not sure which model. He said he goes easy on uphill, but that's not it, I assume... If it would be of help, i preffer 27.5", not 29er.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Cuki wrote:
    Thanks for reply! If someone could be nice, what's the difference between cross-country and trail bike? All I know that the difference is in structure, what are other differences? My friend owns enduro bike, it's a Cult, not sure which model. He said he goes easy on uphill, but that's not it, I assume... If it would be of help, i preffer 27.5", not 29er.

Basically a trail bike is a bike with 120-150mm of travel, which is able to be ridden basically everywhere both up and down.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • Cuki
    Ok, thanks! I'll consider all that... I have 4 months for considering, after all...