Cannondale Synapse Tiagra - good entry level bike?

leafeater
leafeater Posts: 8
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm hunting for my first road bike, I am by no means an expert. I was hoping to spend no more than $1,000 AU.

- Looking for comfort and durability over speed.
- Alloy frame, rims, etc
- 50/34 compact crankset
- 12-28 cassette or thereabouts

When I went to a bikeshop I was directed to the Cannondale Synapse Tiagra women's bike. It was however a little over my price range as it was about $1,550 AU (although they offered to throw in flat pedals, lights, bottle cage, bike lock and helmet for free).

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on this bike and if there is a cheaper alternative I can look at? Or should I realistically be expecting to spend this much?

Thanks.

Comments

• ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Welcome to BR.

I've got a carbon Synapse. It is a very, very good bike and I have heard good things about the ally version - mine has got Shimano Ultegra but, trust me, there is nothing at all wrong with Tiagra (which I have also got on another bike and use regularly). Have to say, I didn't know that they did a female specific model and I really don't know how that differs from a male version but I doubt it impacts on overall quality and, assuming you are a girl, it should be fine. As to alternatives, you would be better getting advice from someone more familiar with the bike business in Oz but, be warned, for every ten responses, you will probably get nine different suggestions and wind up even more uncertain. In the end, go with one that fits and you like the look of more than others (and can afford!). If you have a decent bike shop, they can help with the former but only you can decide on the latter.

Hope this helps if only a little.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)