some advice please

thomp1983
thomp1983 Posts: 2
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
hi guys first post here looking for some advice. i used to cycle to work regularly using a 2013 carrera vulcan but then a change of job meant commuting by car so the bike got left at my parents for the last 3 years, now a new job means im onyl a mile from work so looking to start cycling again.

for some reason ive decided i want a white bike (no idea why just seen a few and decided) i started by looking at last seasons boardman 650b which is on sale at around £450 having looked at a few reviews it seems to be suggested the carrera kraken and fury are a better bike (mainly due to the front forks) which seem to be a similar price or around £250 second hand. i then looked at the spec for my current vulcan and there doesn't seem much difference, the vulcan has a sr suntour xcm v2 fork the fury and kraken seem to have the sr suntour xcr 32 fork looking around these seem to be able for around £100 new, it seems for somewhere around £50-100 i can have my frame powdercoated white the only other issue i ever had with my bike was the chain would slip when stood pedaling up a hill after doing some reading i think this may be down to either worn cassettes or poor adjustement/setup ive taken a few pictures do these look excessively worn,

20160121_175049_zpspaltthav.jpg

20160121_175009_zpsuwotamrw.jpg

if they are worn could someone suggest a decent replacement, im basically trying to work out if it's more viable to upgrade and repaint/powdercoat my vulcan for a similar amount of money to just buying another bike, im quite technical minded ive built various cars and motorcycles ive just never had anything to do with pushbikes, another issue i had with the vulcan is the rear wheel would constantly go out of true it never seemed to stay right for more than 3 or 4 weeks and i wouldn't say i was excessively hard on it ive taken it to a different shop to be trued today so ill see how it goes on but a pair of wheels may be required aswell.

thanks for any advice

chris

Comments

• mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Personally if ist a commuter I would fix up the vulcan and wouldnt bother repainting it, new chain and casette and a gear tune up may be all it needs.

Don't know why you'd need a pair of wheels, if the back wheel is shot you can just replace that..but i'd see how if goes with the new shop, the old shop may have been ballsing the job up if it needed truing again so soon any you weren't bashing the heck out of it..