Tools required for crank/bottom bracket fix

earth
earth Posts: 934
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Bottom bracket gone again. Unsurprisingly it failed immediately after the cold weather. I guess when they put nylon cups into a aluminium frame the two materials have different thermal expansion properties and the press fit cups don't fit so well when the temperature drops and they change shape.

I will service it myself this time because I'm not paying £50 every 6 months for a shop to do it. So I need tools for removing the chainset at least.

The chainset is an FSA Gossamer from 2014 with a PF30 bottom bracket. Can anyone advise on what I need to get it off? I'm hoping grease and possibly new bearings will be enough.

Comments

• http://www.fullspeedahead.com/install-b ... -fsa-road/

Not sure what set up you have but there are quite a few videos on line for this - GIYF!!
  • 8mm allen key to remove chainset, preferably on a torque wrench to reattach.
    Cleaning out the bearings faces, applying some grease and re-torquing may solve your problem if its the irritating 'click' that PF/BB30 can develop
    If replacing the bearings then whichever locktite is recommended (can't remember which) and some kind of bearing press
  • I have watched the video but it was difficult to assign all the equipment together. I want to start a store where I can sell these equipment but I have heard that there are some agreement which needed to be signed. I want you to know about it here.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Thanks