bar tape - I suck at wrapping!

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Im feeling a little special here, but ive come to the conclusion I'm just rubbish at it. Drops and up to the levers is fine its just the bend I cannot for the life of me get a decent wrap the inner part always looks loose and terrible even using silly thin tapes. Anyone have any fool proof tips/guides before I just wrap it in sparky tape an call it done.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It is a bit of a dark art. Just keep practising. I tend to stretch it a bit when going around the curved part. just keep looking for a decent overlap. If its not right just go back and do it again. Good idea is to use the cut off for under the hoods or cut a bit off the end of the main wrap to use if non supplied.
  • step83
    Yeah been doing the loop for under the hood, ill get some photos of my terrible work after work
  • Front shifter side wraps clockwise, rear shifter side wraps anti-clockwise. Figure of 8 around the levers, finish the same distance away from the slam, with the same number of wrap each side. Leave a bit over at the start to secure the end plugs and finish with electrical tape in the centre.
  • Front shifter side wraps clockwise, rear shifter side wraps anti-clockwise.

That was the bit I struggled with! GCN video shows doing the front shifter side, which works fine, then just says do the same on the other side. Which I managed to get backwards twice(!) before figuring it out.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    I learnt from this video. Think it explains it well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7KwGCDWlUk
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've seen a few examples recently of tape wrapped the old school way starting from the middle and working outwards. Makes for a neater finish on the tops and the only loose end is secured by the end plug. Going to give it a go next time I have bars to rewrap.
  • Front shifter side wraps clockwise, rear shifter side wraps anti-clockwise.

That was the bit I struggled with! GCN video shows doing the front shifter side, which works fine, then just says do the same on the other side. Which I managed to get backwards twice(!) before figuring it out.

It's a pain in the arse some times but worth the time to get right
  • It's a pain in the ars* some times but worth the time to get right

Of all the jobs I did building the bike up most of them were more tricky than expected, things didn't work, go into the right place, or often just didn't make sense. After all that I was dreading the bar tape as it's renouned for being tricky, but it was the easiest part of the entire build!
  • step83
    Think im going to get some cheap cloth tape without adhesive to practice with. Ill give it a go starting in the middle as well
  • daflj
    daflj Posts: 20
    Ber Nard wrote:
    I learnt from this video. Think it explains it well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7KwGCDWlUk

Thanks - really useful video