Decent Bib Shorts for Not Decent Money!?

drewesq
drewesq Posts: 137
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
I am in the market for some new bib shorts but I understand the pad is where the money is spent... I have some FDX shorts but the cheap pad retains moisture and then causes chaffing...

There are some reasonably priced DHB shorts ATM on wiggle but just wondering about alternatives?

I'm not keen on 2nd hand off of eBay!

:)
Cannondale CAADX Disc 2014 Tiagra - Blue
Charge Plug 0
Voodoo Bizango 2015
Ridgeback World Tour (mainly for commuting and holidays)
:mrgreen:

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What's your budget?

Look here:

viewtopic.php?t=13028668
  • drewesq
    would £40 be enough for a decent pair?
    Charge Plug 0
    Voodoo Bizango 2015
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    The answer to that is that it depends...

For £40 you should be able to find some shorts that don't chafe or get too damp on shorter rides so should be an improvement on what you've got.

On the other hand, if you're planning to be doing longer rides (3 hours plus) then you probably get what you pay for in terms of pad quality and I would say there is a noticeable difference between £40 shorts and more expensive ones from the likes of Castelli, Sportful etc.

As already mentioned, for decent value kit, DHB is always a good place to start. The other advice is just to shop around. The likes of PBK, Ribble, Chain Reaction etc often have big discounts on the better brands. Also have a look at Prendas - they only sell decent quality kit and often have some good discounts, plus their customer service is excellent for sizing advice etc.

Like you, I'm not sure I could ever come to terms with the idea of second hand bib shorts!
  • drewesq
    Thing is, I did a 9 hour epic last summer on me cross bike 121 miles Devon coast to coast (+a bit more) with out any padded shorts and I was okay. Cheap pads though are worse than none... what about these?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/de-m ... 048a438008
    Charge Plug 0
    Voodoo Bizango 2015
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I'm a big fan of Lusso in general and their bibs in particular. Even though the RRPs are above your budget, keep an eye out on line and they can often be had for very good discounts. IMHO, plus points with them are that they use good pads, are usually plain black with just a couple of discrete logos and they are made in the UK (Manchester). As an aside, I've also met the owner who is a top bloke.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Or these if you're a small (top-end, unused and second hand price):

viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=13042553

Apologies for the cheeky link.
  • horizon
    horizon Posts: 91
    Have a look at Merlin's own brand kit - I have the Sport long sleeved jersey and the bib tights and both are exceptionally good vfm, well made using top quality Italian fabrics. They do shorts from £20-45 which are all 5 star rated by users and are next on my list.
  • drewesq
    Horizon wrote:
    Have a look at Merlin's own brand kit - I have the Sport long sleeved jersey and the bib tights and both are exceptionally good vfm, well made using top quality Italian fabrics. They do shorts from £20-45 which are all 5 star rated by users and are next on my list.

Thanks for the tip, they look good :)
    Charge Plug 0
    Voodoo Bizango 2015
  • Planet X Pro-line are brilliant and you could have two pairs for your budget:
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXP3BS/planet-x-pro-line-365-x-bib-shorts
  • altura pro gel shorts are fairly cheap and surprisingly decent
  • I have tried loads and ended up with La Passione Classic summer bib shorts.Came to the conclusion that seat comfort was one of the few things worth paying for,the rest of my kit is Altura off eBay.
  • Merlin or BikeInn will have deals on Exteondo. Even their low end is fantastic. I got a pair of dicolor for 50 quid a while back, and bar my stolen goat/bioracer shorts, they're the first choice for anything 100 miles plus.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Planet X Pro-line are brilliant and you could have two pairs for your budget:

I bagged a pair of these cause they came down to £20 and the only two criticisms are the waist is a little higher than other shorts which makes the first thing I do when I get into work a little less easy and the legs don't have grippers like other shorts but my thighs fill them just the right amount to stop any riding up.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Altura - Great quality for not a lot of money.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Perhaps stating the obvious but be sure to get a tub of Assos chamois creme which will improve the comfort of any shorts.

Peter
  • baysixty wrote:
    altura pro gel shorts are fairly cheap and surprisingly decent

I just got Evans to price match a pair of these from £50 down to £29.99

• AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    DHB aero pro (i think) really are very good at for 40 quid the pad is as good as castelli rosso corsa's
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    noste500 wrote:
    baysixty wrote:
    altura pro gel shorts are fairly cheap and surprisingly decent

I just got Evans to price match a pair of these from £50 down to £29.99

I'm a fan of these as well. Best budget bibs I've ever bought.
  • redvee wrote:
    Planet X Pro-line are brilliant and you could have two pairs for your budget:

I bagged a pair of these cause they came down to £20 and the only two criticisms are the waist is a little higher than other shorts which makes the first thing I do when I get into work a little less easy and the legs don't have grippers like other shorts but my thighs fill them just the right amount to stop any riding up.

I've recently got the On One Pro Line shorts, they are very similar quality, same pad (different colour and branding) but a bit more mesh in the bibs and have silicone leg grippers! High front still though.
    Also got the clubman version which have the same pad as the pro-line, full mesh bibs and silicone leg grippers, high front too.

All great shorts as far as I'm concerned.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Decathlon bibs are good as well and you can try them on for size
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~