Post winter maintenance

kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited January 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning all,

Just was thinking what is you or what would be your after winter bike maintenance etc.??

Let's say to get bike in tip top condition and ready for spring time.

Assuming:

- FS;
- bike used every day, dry, wet, snow, mud etc.
- standard chain clean, lube etc after every ride.

Thanks for all info.

Chris

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nothing, just normal regular maintenance.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    Replace the frame bearings that have needed doing since autumn in my case. Unless anything is in a degraded condition or needs replacing, just proceed as normal
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I just take off cassette, chain for a good clean and chain rings, then check usual stuff for wear or re grease headset etc.

Just done a gears clean as squirt is no good in this weather we've had chain looking rusty so switched to ceramic wet lube.

I've only got a hardtail but full suspension i'd definitely check the pivot bearings
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why would you perform a maintenance after winter you haven't done during?

Do what needs doing, when it needs doing, the end of winter (when it comes) is irrelevant.

Correctly used squirt is fine.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    The Rookie wrote:
    Why would you perform a maintenance after winter you haven't done during?

Correctly used squirt is fine.

Well It hasn't worked for me and the end result a rusty chain which makes my bike look unmaintained.

Squirt, yes works well but not in salty road and heavy rain conditions, I'm not a fair weather rider.
  • The Rookie
    I agree it doesn't work on salty roads, which is why it's not on my commuter, but an MTB on salty roads is kinda an oxymoron!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    The Rookie wrote:
    I agree it doesn't work on salty roads, which is why it's not on my commuter, but an MTB on salty roads is kinda an oxymoron!

I have a short 7 mile if you can call it short, ride into to work on morning so haven't bothered getting a more suitable bike and just use the short travel hardtail bike I have.

While we are on the subject of winter maintenance, do any of you go the whole hog and do a full strip down on your bikes?

also is wiping the frame over with a rag with a bit of gt85 on it a good idea? it seems to keep a lot of the muck from sticking to the frame but just wonder if its a good thing to do in the long term, obviously keep away from disc brakes etc.
  • The Rookie
    I wipe the frame down with silicon spray to achieve the same end, I think it's cleaner than using GT85/WD40.

If you are using it daily on salty roads then squirt won't cut it, I agree, this winter has been OK so far, but last was dreadful.

I don't ever do a full strip down, I do what needs doing and when it needs doing.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    The Rookie wrote:

I don't ever do a full strip down, I do what needs doing and when it needs doing.

This is what I meant asking 'post winter maintenance'...

Therefore I stick to the 'routine' checks / standard post ride maintenance and do things when they need doing -as the brake pads I changed yesterday...

Thanks guys,

Chris
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The only benefit to a stripdown is so you inspect everything rather than be surprised every week at finding something new to fix.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The Rookie
    I can't think of anything I would find with a stripdown I wouldn't find with a check.....