Has CycleStore.co.uk been hacked, or selling email addresses?

chrisaonabike
chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
edited January 2016 in Road general
So I have an account at CycleStore, and as with a lot of organisations, I signed up with an email address that I created specifically for that account, and which I have never used anywhere else.

A few days ago I started receiving spam at that address.

Two possibilities - either they've been hacked and had their database nicked, or they're selling email lists. Or, I suppose, the spammers guessed the email address randomly, but that seems less likely.

Anyone else seen this at all?
Is the gorilla tired yet?

Comments

• Can't say I've seen any increase in spam on the email account I use.
  • A few days ago spam messages started to arrive in my email address dedicated to CycleStore.co.uk.
    What's worse is that this is not the first time. The same thing happened in the past - around a year ago or so. So I changed the registered address then. But again... :cry:
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I've not had any spam coming into the email address I use for cyclestore.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I can check if your email or personal details have been sold. All you have to do is send me your card number, the name on the card, expiry date and the 3 digits on the strip where you sign.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I can check if your email or personal details have been sold. All you have to do is send me your card number, the name on the card, expiry date and the 3 digits on the strip where you sign.

PM'd
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Chris Bass wrote:

Are you the man who sent me an email telling me that a millionaire i don't know from Africa has passed away but left me his fortune in his will and all i need to do is send you my card details and passport & you can process my inheritance payment?? :lol:
  • chris_bass
    coriordan wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

PM'd

bad news - you have been hacked. coincidentally it happened moments after you sent the PM
  • chris_bass
    redvision wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

Are you the man who sent me an email telling me that a millionaire i don't know from Africa has passed away but left me his fortune in his will and all i need to do is send you my card details and passport & you can process my inheritance payment?? :lol:

no, that was Charles Brass - he is someone completely different